Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
08-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

Kitty agoraphobia?

Ive noticed my furbaby Ebony is frightened of the outdoors

Ebony is a little bit timid when she first meets new people but she quickly goes over for a fuss when she is sure of them

The problem is she is terrified of outdoors and refuses to even go near the back or front door even when we feed her near them

I would like to help her overcome her fear of outdoors but dont know how to help her

She wont let anyone pick her up so I cant carry her outside

Shes a rescue cat who was found as a stray with two surviving kittens the rest of the litter was dead

Shes only two years six months old and I dont want her to be scared of going outside.

Any ideas of how to help her overcome her fear?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #2

Re: Kitty agoraphobia?

Is it a huge problem for her just to be an indoor cat?

I personally don't blame her for not wanting to go outside again, she's probably terrified of being left again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
08-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #3

I think I'd agree with Elaine, if she's happy as an indoor cat then so be it. It may be that if she has access to the outdoors that she may eventually venture out but I don't think trying to force the issue is likely to be successful, or fair to her, if she finds it stressful.

Catsey Veteran

08-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #4

Its not a problem but I want her to know she can go out if she feels ready to brave the outdoors

Im worried she wont get enough exercise as an indoor cat necause she doesnt play with toys she doesnt get interested in them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #5

I think this may take time and patience as Ebony has had a scary start to life. I think maybe you could try playing with her .... but take it gently and always use a toy so she is not tempted to play with your fingers! This may help with direct contact too. I wouldn't tempt her outdoors at all at this stage as it sounds she is so scared. Her confidence may improve with your help and patience.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

If you want her to go out if and when she feels like it then leave her be to find her feet. Don't look for problems and issues where there are none, the poor dear has had a terrible start so allow her the time to gain confidence in people by not rushing her to do anything she doesn't want.
I'd rather have a happy content cat than one who is always fretting about what I am about to impose on her. Playfulness come with confidence and trust too so just be patient.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
09-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

Hi, She's still very young and had a terrible start to life, she needs comfort and reassurance now. Like the other girls have said give her time and as her confidence increases she'll find her feet, until then, keep her safe and secure at home.
Don't worry about her exercise, cats love sleeping and just watching life pass them by. I have two cats with very different personalities, one is happy to stay in and spend her time on her own and the other needs fresh air and exploring time.

Enjoy Ebony's company, she seems like she likes to be with you- it's a compliment!

Catsey Veteran

09-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

She knows I spoil her rotten and if shes fretting about anything she comes over to me for reassurance

Last night Mum was taking rubbish out to the bin and Ebony decided to go out literally just past the door before getting back in quickly like she thought outside was going to hurt her (not surprised though)

She decided she was going to allow me to pick her up for a very quick cuddle before wanting down again

No photos as of yet she gets anxious when she sees anything she doesnt understand and I dont want to force her into anything

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
27-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #9

I would think Ebony doesn't want to go outside in case she can't get back in. Perhaps her previous owner locked her out. All my cats have access to an enclosed yard and go out or stay in as they wish. All she needs is to feel secure and loved and she will come round. Some of the cats I've had in the past haven't wanted to be picked up but that's OK. If we have a 'vacancy' we usually end up with cats that nobody else will take on for one reason or another. All my cats are free to do what they want, within reason. We have a reasonably fraught free household. Up to now!!

Catsey Veteran

02-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #10

Ebony now follows us outside and shoots back in before us, she's still not 100% sure about getting picked up but she does allow us to stroke the very top of her tummy when she's rolled over (we call them "Ebony tummy tickles"), she's completely taken over the house and we wouldn't have it any other way