Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-04-2014, 01:56 AM   #11

Re: Cats peeing and pooing on the bed.

Its worth trying we find it very useful for a lot of things

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
29-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

Have you changed your washing powder/capsules from non bio to biological, or a more perfumed one around this time? I ask because most cats hate the perfume smell and will attempt to leave a lasting mark..

Also do you have litter trays indoors? How many cats do you have if you don't mind my asking? This seems to help as some cats get older and the weather is wet and cold they prefer to use them. It has been very wet recently again!. It might help to put a tray by the bed perhaps and gradually move it further away.

Feliway will only help to a certain extent, it may be transient and temporary until you can get to the reason why they are stressing about something. I hope you find the answer soon.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
29-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #13

Hi TIOT. I have 5 cats with access to outside. There are 3 indoor trays, 2 near the bed. I always use the same powder but I may have changed the fabric conditioner but I don't think it's that. I think maybe Fecto is losing his marbles a little. He is eating a lot more than he usually does but I think that's because he's not processing his food efficiently, he is 12 in June. We have had him since he was tiny and he has got previous for weeing on the bed on odd occasions. He's always taken new cats, dogs, furniture, etc in his stride. It is a mystery. Anyway, our solution at the mo is to put the plastic cover on when we get up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #14

Hi, I agree with much of the advice that has already been given but I just want to draw attention to something and my apologies in advance if I get a little personal/intrusive.

I am currently studying a canine behaviour course, I know this is about cats, but something struck me as I was reading your post which is similar to a case study I have been reading about regarding a dog who began soiling in the home and especially on the owners bed.

So here is my question, and I don't expect you to answer it but just to think about it and be aware of what I am trying to convey. I mean no disrespect and I may be way off the mark.

Is everything ok with in your human relationships? If everything is fine, great, and my apologies for barking up the wrong tree. If all is not well with the human relationships, that might be the answer to the cats issues of soiling inappropriately, in which case it's not the cats who need to be addressed but the humans.

It is important to try to establish the root cause of why cats and dogs begin to behave in such a manner, that we might have to look a little more closely at our own relationships before deciding that it is the animal who has the problems.

Catsey Senior

30-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #15

Hi Elaine, absolutely no offence taken and I read your post with interest. Although there is nothing wrong with me and OH, I have been stressed about a matter recently. Fecto is Mummy's best boy and he has been mithering me during the night more than normal. Perhaps he is feeling confused or stressed about me being stressed. I think your idea is definitely worth thinking about. Thank you for bringing a new angle to the problem. We used to have a cat who, although friendly, would only sit on my knee if I was upset. I absolutely believe that animals pick up on our emotions.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
01-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #16

Absoloutely FM, and spot on Elaine. Chesi always picks up when I'm stressed or upset, his way of dealing with it is to go somewhere out of the way for a while, alone, whereas Mitzi would always come to me to comfort her mum. It affects different cats in different ways. Stress can also be caused, esp' in older cats by excess noise, or new noises. Again, detective work needed!

Also, about the litter trays, great that you have them. A cat behaviourist Vicky Halls who helped me greatly with a cat who was grieving says that to prevent unwanted soiling litter trays are best supplied on a 'one plus one' basis, whatever that means, so if you have 5 cats, even if they are still going outside for a lot of the time, for the cat's security and comfort have at least 8 litter trays(!). I know this sounds excessive, but it might help them, especially as cats get older they like their home comforts to be 'theirs' and no one else's. I know just with 2 elderly cats who went outdoors, as they got older they had no less than 3 trays, or at least one each. This really helped them on wet days when they didn't want to go out or the arthritis kicked in.

Has arthritis been picked up by your vet in any of them? This is a silent thing in cats, and very subtle for us to pick up on as the pain can manifest in different ways.

Catsey Senior

01-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #17

All replies have been tremendously useful so thanks all. I will put another tray somewhere but I think 8 would be a bit excessive. Oh, by the way, on the subject of cat litter. If anyone uses wood based there is a cheaper alternative in the form of wood based horse bedding. It is £5 cheaper a 30ltr bag than cat litter. I have been giving Fecto much more attention and dealing with my 'stressy' problem and feel much better. He has been much less demanding overnight and so far, no more wees. Touching lots of wood and everything crossed! Poor Fecto, he's such a Mummy's little soldier, I can't get cross with him.