Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: one beautiful girl
11-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Need a bit of help/advice with a stray cat i have taken in

hiya, i took in a stray queen about a month and a half ago, and shes absolutely lovely, really sweet, took to the litter tray with no problems, doesn't dirty anywhere in house, eats fine, shes even took to my rottweiler, couldn't ask for a stray with a better nature.

however ....... shes has a really weird behavior most nights, and seems how i've never owned a cat before i don't know if its normal or not, but i cant seem to find it anywhere in forums etc.

whilst sitting on the couch always on a night time never a morning she will come over and tell me she needs petting so i do, but then after 2 minutes or so, she then locks her front paws tightly around around my whole forearm whilst gently biting/sucking on my sleeve, and kneads quite fast with both back paws on my arm, and during this time she purrs loudly for the whole duration, she doesn't hurt as she doesn't have her claws out, nor does she hurt whilst biting it doesn't bother me, its like a mini massage, i was just wondering why she does this and if its normal or not.

any info would be great thanx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #2

Re: Need a bit of help/advice with a stray cat i have taken in

What age does the vet think she is?
Has she been spayed yet?
Sucking/chewing Normal enough
Purring whilst kneading Normal
Kneading Normal

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #3

great that you are able to take this cat in and give her a home. What are you calling her ?
I once had a cat that liked to suck on and knead jumpers that people were wearing, i always thought it was because she was seperated from her mum too soon and she's been left with this behaviour. I found her as a stray too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #4

Yes, I would agree, normal behaviour and as she isn't hurting you I would rather think she is just showing you how happy she is. Even cats that haven't been taken from their mothers too early do "knead" now and again (my male neuter Pip does).

Bless you for giving this cat a good home. Sounds as if she appreciates it too!

Catsey Junior

14-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

The vet estimated at around 18 months, and i don't know if shes been neutered or not, and sadly i haven't been able to find a good enough name that suits her yet, ive only had her about 3-4 weeks, but its amazing how quickly you become attached, and like i said ive never owned a cat before so everything is new to me. But she has definitely cane in and made herself boss with my Rottweiler thankfully my rotty Ruby is so laid back and placid and has just let her take over, even her bed and toys ha ha.

Catsey Junior

14-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

I tried to rehome her after i found out she was a stray and had no owners, but the three homes she went too wernt suitable, first one had children who she didnt like, and second home had a cat and she was aggressive with and the final one she was apparently really aggressive and tried to attack everyone in the house, so after two days i had to pick her back up, but shes never ever even hissed or put out her claws whilst with me, i don't understand it. And after three failed attempts i thought i would keep her and not stress her anymore with a fourth.
i read somewhere that strays will only take to the first person that took them in and showed them kindness, is that true or just an old wives tale? Just it would make sense how she only seems to settle with me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

I have a 3rd hand (at least) stray. She wandered into my neighbours before they moved near to me as a stray. Then she lived with them for a bit but when they bought a dog she moved into the garden and eventually moved in with us. It's taken her a year to get fully used to us; she used to lash out at the kids a bit as they're quite fast-moving and noisy but now she's so placid you'd think she had always been with us.

Catsey Junior

15-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #8

Well people told me she would need time to settle in, but obviously the homes i found just wernt up for giving her a chance, and gave up after a few days, i don't understand why though coz after an hour at my house she seemed right at home and walked around as if she owned the house and had been there years ha ha ha

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
16-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #9

it would be lovely to see a picture of your new cat, hint, hint,lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey87
Well people told me she would need time to settle in, but obviously the homes i found just wernt up for giving her a chance, and gave up after a few days, i don't understand why though coz after an hour at my house she seemed right at home and walked around as if she owned the house and had been there years ha ha ha
Some people are just meant to have a cat, and she's obviously decided that you're just right for her.