Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Domestic
20-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Hi

I have a Cat who is about a year old. I got her from Craigslist at about 6 weeks. She was eating cat food that a regular cat eats,not a kitten. That had me thinking maybe she was taken from her mom too early. Anyways she has a bad temperament most of the time. She hisses alot and growls at everyone, not so much me,but sometimes. She hates to be held! sometimes she will crawl on my chest and be fine seconds later she will turn and bite me. People call her the devil cat anyways the purpose of my email is that last night my bf went to pick her up and she was fine for a few seconds then she took a chunk out of his hand. Now he has had it and says we can't keep her. I also went to try to calm her down because after my bf chased her downstairs to the basement for biting him she was so exasperated that when I went to touch her she bit me and drew blood. I don't know what to do! There is a time she's happy and it's when I have something soft, she will lay with me and knead and nurse on it. Please help me I want to keep my cat!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Re: Hi

First things first, you MUST take this Kitten (yes she is still a kitten at a year old) to the vets for a full check up. That is the first thing, if he says she is ok then we need to look at other things.

Is she spayed? I presume she is a housecat as you dont mention her going outside. Even if she is a housecat she still needs spayed. If she is in season she may be feeling increasingly frustrated which wouldnt improve her temperment

Some cats dont like lifted, cuddled & held, they like to come to you & be stroked, we have several that way, so you could try backing off a bit from her, call her to you & stroke, talk to her etc & give her treats, just no pressure to lift, cuddle or hold. How often do you 'play' with her, has she any interactive toys like feathers on sticks or longish string attached to a stick with feathers, paper, tiny soft toys tied on the end of the string, cats love that type of game.

First of all however 'please' get this little cat ( kitten ) a vet appointment to make sure there are no underlying health factors

Welcome to Catsey x

20-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

Yes, I try to play with her all the time, and she isn't fixed but will be this next weekend. I have people telling me she should maybe be on a farm.

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #4

When was she last checked over by a Vet?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Hi and Welcome ...... I would guess this little kitten has had a difficult start as you say you got her off Craiglist. So long as there's nothing physically wrong with her, you could try using a Feliway plug in to try and calm her and never play with her with your hands, always use a toy. If she bites/scratches say "ouch" and stopping playing immediately. Try and encourage your bf not to respond by chasing her, that will only make her frightened too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
21-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Please ensure this kitten is spayed as soon as possible, this may calm her down considerably. Also play with her just as my forum friends suggest but also consider that she is just a small cat and will look to you for comfort ( kneading and mouthing ) and contact is important for her to mark you with her scent.

Chasing her, like your boyfriend did, will only make her frightened and she has already been 'used' by humans before- she has trust issues. Why are people calling her a devil cat, there is no such thing

Treat her kindly and you will have her love in return!

22-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #7

Thanks so much for the responses, I love this kitty but people think shed be happier on a farm. I've tried filaway plug to calm her and the other cat from fighting. She's just so aggressive most of the time and when you pet her she immediatly bathes herself as if to get rid of your scent. She was looked over by a vet when I took her to petco for her shots. She said she was healthy. I'm just hoping getting her spayed will make her better and can walk by her without her hissing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

It may be hard but if that's where you feel she would be happier and a farm place is available it might be best for all concerned if you rehome her there so long as you can be assured that she will be cared for. But I would get her spayed first.

Catsey Veteran

22-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

Definitely get her spayed

Sending a pet raised cat to live on a farm isnt always the answer. We have one in rescue at present who was sent to a farm to live. He was constantly bullied by the resident female cat & has ended up with a lot of behavourial issues

22-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #10

She is getting spayed this weekend. I pray it helps