Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Crossbred
18-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Our 3 cats problem with chasing in the house

Hi. We have 3 cats. Two are age 15 and 14 and the youngest is 3. The 3 yr old keeps chasing the older two (yes poor things)!! and antangonising them. He just wants to play being younger but the other two are getting pretty stressed out

The biggest problem is the chasing up and down the stairs and also at night. Its disturbing our sleep. The older two take refuge in the bedrooms (our daughter keeps them safe in her room with the door shut)! They are both long haired and lay on her bed so cats hairs are everywhere. The youngest settles down on the landing eventually.

I can't think of any other way to stop this and was thinking of a stair gate as the only possible solution. I found this one on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bettacare-Ef...gates+for+dogs

Not sure if the youngest would try and jump it although I think he would struggle as its a tall gate. I dont want any of them upstairs, they have nice places to sleep downstairs and in separate rooms. Anyone got any advice please? many thanks in advance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #2

Re: Our 3 cats problem with chasing in the house

Hi purrfect3 - can I just advise you that the gate won't keep your cats apart. I have the same model to keep our two cats safe from our dogs and the cats jump it with ease (1 aged 5 and the other 4). Keeps the dogs out fine.

Your two older cats do need to be able to have their own calm quiet space and if you can keep them separate, at least for part of the day that's obviously best.

Your young cat is just wanting to play, as you say. You could try and play with him and give him his own playtime and try to expend some of his energy. Does he go outside at all?

Cats owned: Crossbred
18-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Hi angieh

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful. I did think the same that the cats would jump it and we don't have dogs so its just not worth buying one of these stair gates.

Yes you are right the older two do need their own space and the younger one does like to go outside a lot so that's good. I think this solution will make a calmer household all round

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
19-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Lots of playing with the little one! Expend that energy try and do it hour or so before bed, so he's ready to be calm for night time. GL!