Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 1 Applehead Siamese
18-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

Cat goes everywhere but the litter box! HELP!

I moved about a month or so ago from Texas to Missouri. At first, my cat, Kaya, was golden about going to her litter box. But recently she's been going everywhere but there, save for going poo.

If it happens again, I might have to get rid of her and I don't want to do that just yet. Can anyone help me? I'm at my wits ends!

EDIT: She's also been cleared of any urinary tract infections.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
18-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Re: Cat goes everywhere but the litter box! HELP!

We had toileting issuses with harris. He would pee anywhere but the tray. We had to teach him how to use the tray. We put tissues that we had used to clean up with in his tray so his scent would be there and show him the tray. We also changed the litter which helped as he had been found outside. We tried 3 trays with diff litter types to see what he preferred and then gradually weaned him onto what we wanted him to use

18-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

Although the scent might help, that's not an option for me. I unfortunately, have to keep her litter box in my office as there's no other place to put it.

I forgot to mention that she's been declawed but that was months ago, so it's not the texture of the litter (as far as I know). She's also been spayed, so I know that's not part of the problem, although there are a few cats in the area.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

I'd say it's a major stress issue, many cats who have had the barbaric declaw op' go onto suffer from serious stress issues, that combined with moving home etc. Why on earth was she declawed? Sorry but it's just beyond me why any one would want to do such a cruel thing.

19-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Hmm, never really thought about that. And the only reason she was declawed was because she was tearing up the door frames in the previous house, despite all tries to get her to stop (including the double sided tape, which she shredded to bits)

Catsey Veteran

19-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #6

How about if I put it to you this way, lets say I took you captive, locked you in a room.....in your desperation to get out of that room, you began digging at the door frames with your finger nails, would it be reasonable for me to them remove your finger nails from your knuckles?

That's essentially what declawing is. Your cat now has no way of defending itself EVER, thats extremely stressful for the animal, not to mention the discomfort.

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawapi.html

http://pawsneedclaws.com/Declaw_Information.php

Essentially you have done this to the cat, so for you to now say you might have to get rid, I have to ask why did you get a cat in the first place? The fact is, cats scratch, some more than others and it's up to us to help them to adjust to a life indoors, if that's the reason they scratch. They do scratch for alot of reasons.

Now the big Q is, how can you now help your cat.

http://cats.about.com/od/declawing/f/declawedcat.htm
http://suite101.com/article/cat-declaw-recovery-a53453

Cats owned: 2 cats - one torti-tabby, one black
acatcalleddog is Male
20-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #7

I agree - declawing is barbaric though common in the USA and Canada. I have never known a declawed cat in the UK. Ironic that so many American animal lovers do this. I don't understand it. But then, they routinely circumcise baby boys in the US too and that is utterly unnecessary mutilation (which came from a puritanical attempt to stop self abuse).

Regarding the cat not using the litter tray. It could be stress, or could be just marking territory. We had a mad cat who died last year aged 13 - she came to us with her brother Frodo after having several homes. She used to go to the toilet near the front door or living room door, and also wee on the carpet by the front window; she also used the litter tray. This little issue is one reason she went through several owners before us! We are more tolerant than most. We tried to stop her behaviour - using orange peel, saucers of Dettol, spray etc. Nothing worked. In the end we accepted she wouldn't stop so put plastic sheeting and newspapers on top of our living room carpet - and bought lots of air freshener!

I hear some owners put cats down because of this issue. I think that is so wrong. It's only a carpet for goodness sake! (though her acidic wee also took the veneer of the bottom of the piano - but hey, it's an OLD piano - so who cares?)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
20-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

From what I understand declawing is unlawful in the UK, so we have to cope with scratching issues as and when they arise. Both my rescue cats have the urge to scratch more than my persian ever did, so there are plenty of posts here, also I don't get hung up on the odd try out on my sofa. If you have cats DON"T buy expensive, you can't watch them 24/7, they will have a go. Just the same as 'acatcalleddog' says, you have to adapt to their sanitary habits, it's trial and error but you can manage it; what's a few threads or carpet patches between friends

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

This thread is over a year old.......