Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
28-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #11

Re: Pooping.

We had a little accident last night. He couldn't get upstairs so he pooped not far from his bed under the stairs (his tray is in the kitchen which he has full access to). He's going outside for the toilet during the day, no problems. This just seems to be happening specifically at night.

Mum's gone shopping today so she's going to get him a new, slightly larger tray with lower sides and I've just ordered a Feliway plug-in.

This only started after he came back from his blood test, which I mentioned before was traumatic for him so I'm still thinking it's stress related.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #12

Hmmm, have you ever witnessed him pooping? He goes out through the day, as you have said and it sounds like you find these accidents rather than witness them happening, so I am guessing the answer to my question is no.
It would be interesting if you could witness them so that you could see for yourself whether or not he looks like he is straining alot or in some discomfort while passing a motion.
I say that because cats tend to stop using a litter box when they associate it with the discomfort of going.
Maybe a new litter box with lower sides will help,l as he is an older cat perhaps the discomfort is getting in and out of the box.

Catsey Junior

29-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Hmmm, have you ever witnessed him pooping? He goes out through the day, as you have said and it sounds like you find these accidents rather than witness them happening, so I am guessing the answer to my question is no.
It would be interesting if you could witness them so that you could see for yourself whether or not he looks like he is straining alot or in some discomfort while passing a motion.
I say that because cats tend to stop using a litter box when they associate it with the discomfort of going.
Maybe a new litter box with lower sides will help,l as he is an older cat perhaps the discomfort is getting in and out of the box.
Hello Elaine

Billy's not shy about going on his tray regardless of who's around at the time . He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort when I witness him 'go' and it all seems too look normal (sorry if you're eating!).

We had a clean and dry night last night. Mum got up at 6 and let him out and he went to the toilet in the garden just fine (she said she felt a bit awkward following him to the toilet, but needs must and all that! haha).

Our local supermarket didn't have any trays in their pet section when Mum asked so I think we'll be off to the big pet store tomorrow.

Behaviourally, he's just dandy. Chatty, jumping up on the chair for cuddles and eating well. I'm totally baffled.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
30-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #14

I had a similar thing with my Maine Coon Gaina, they can be quite complex and adorable characters.
Because they're one of the most intelligent breeds of cat MCs seem to demand more mental stimulation more than other cats, always chatting away to you, and in many different tones in order to get their specific message across!
Maine Coons are also very active cats, prefering the outdoors to being shut in. Leave them alone all day and you can quite possibly expect 'little messages' around the house, they don't like being left alone and crave social interaction.

Quite common in Maine Coons, and they're generally very healthy cats, is heart murmurs. My MC never had that but he maintained his usual chatty, friendly facade right up to the day I had to have him pts. He was expert at hiding his weakness.

Sorry for babbling on (I always babble!), I'm as baffled as you are but all I can think of right now is it wouldn't suprise me if he may be trying to tell you something? and maybe you just haven't figured out what it is yet?! Bless him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
30-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #15

Have you tried a hooded tray, maybe way off the mark here, but just an idea....

Catsey Junior

30-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthisouthere
I had a similar thing with my Maine Coon Gaina, they can be quite complex and adorable characters.

Because they're one of the most intelligent breeds of cat MCs seem to demand more mental stimulation more than other cats, always chatting away to you, and in many different tones in order to get their specific message across!
Maine Coons are also very active cats, preferring the outdoors to being shut in. Leave them alone all day and you can quite possibly expect 'little messages' around the house, they don't like being left alone and crave social interaction.

Quite common in Maine Coons, and they're generally very healthy cats, is heart murmurs. My MC never had that but he maintained his usual chatty, friendly facade right up to the day I had to have him pts. He was expert at hiding his weakness.

Sorry for babbling on (I always babble!), I'm as baffled as you are but all I can think of right now is it wouldn't surprise me if he may be trying to tell you something? and maybe you just haven't figured out what it is yet?! Bless him.
We think we've had a breakthrough (I'm saying this quietly so as not to tempt fate!). He used his box last night, and the only common factor between last night and his other 'dry night' was that Mum's coat was on the banister and his bed's under the stairs. We're now seriously wondering if it's down to the fact he was happier because he could smell something familiar.

Maine Coon's are wonderful, aren't they? Billy's a mix but he's definitely got the major traits, both physical and behavioural. He's a very smart cat...and as for being active? Well, I think his distinct aversion to exercise comes from whatever he's crossed with! Don't worry at all about 'babbling' I could enthuse about them all day!

He's never left along for long periods, but sleeps happily with the radio on when we do leave him. He loves watching the telly, especially Formula 1. Is yours the same?

I've always been an animal person and absolutely maintain they always have a reason for everything they do, we just have to take the time to see the world through their eyes and figure out the logic behind the things they do.

Quote:
Moli

Have you tried a hooded tray, maybe way off the mark here, but just an idea....
Hi Moli

Yes, I see where you're coming from. He's never had a hooded tray and is not shy about using is box regardless of who's there at the time!

My only concern is that changing to a hooded box after 14 years with a particular type of box would be too big a change for him and may exacerbate any anxiety that might be at the root of this current behaviour.

Anyway, tonight we'll make sure he's done his business before bed then make sure the coat is hung up again...and cross our fingers for no little gifts when we get up in the morning!

Catsey Junior

21-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #17

We have an answer to the accidents! It's stress. He did it again (just wee) the night after he came back from his 2nd blood test last Thursday. I spoke to the vet about his blood tests this morning (which I'll post in the hyperthyroid thread I created) and she said, again he got very upset when they tried to take his blood. When I add that information to the fact he wee'd in a place he feels very safe (on my Dad's folded clothes to-boot!) the answer is becoming quite plain.

Anyway, he's settled again now and so far so dry!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #18

There's always a reason! Your poor Dad's clothes though

Catsey Junior

21-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
There's always a reason! Your poor Dad's clothes though
Fortunately it was only the 'gardening' trousers that copped it!