Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
24-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Pooping.

Hello All

Billy continues to get better and more cheeky by the day.

He hasn't been upstairs for a while, and has twice pooped - once in Dad's office and another time in a newly-decorated bedroom.

He's doing well on his thyroid meds (see my other thread for more info on that) and is using his tray as usual, and staying clean downstairs.

We're wondering what could be causing this behaviour and weather it has anything to do with the fact he hasn't been upstairs for a while as he was too tired to do so and is now re-marking his 'territory'.

We're going to get a baby gate for the top of the stairs so he physically can't get up there but I am fascinated as to why he's doing this. There's got to be some feline logic to it!

Gaina x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Re: Pooping.

I really have no idea Gaina - not having to worry about an upstairs at all as I (and the cats) live in a bungalow. My immediate thought is ..... do you have an additional litter tray for Billy upstairs as well as down? Maybe he just got caught short and confused as to where to go? I am not absolutely sure of the behavioural difference between defecation and urination ..... if he was spraying upstairs it would almost be easier to understand.

A lot of questions and no real answers I'm afraid.

Catsey Junior

24-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I really have no idea Gaina - not having to worry about an upstairs at all as I (and the cats) live in a bungalow. My immediate thought is ..... do you have an additional litter tray for Billy upstairs as well as down? Maybe he just got caught short and confused as to where to go? I am not absolutely sure of the behavioural difference between defecation and urination ..... if he was spraying upstairs it would almost be easier to understand.

A lot of questions and no real answers I'm afraid.
Thanks Angie

I asked my vet about it last week and she said 'yes, it might be scent marking...or he might just be being naughty!'. She advised me to discourage him from going upstairs. I mentioned the idea of another litter tray upstairs but mum and dad aren't keen on that idea in case he gets in into his head that it's now acceptable to go to the toilet upstairs and I can understand that to be honest.

If he was defecating in random places then I would suspect senility or a bowel problem but during the day he's very good at going in his litter tray, and even prefers going outside to using the tray when it's dry.

It seems as if he's deliberately gone upstairs, intending to use either the office or the bathroom, found the doors shut and just pooped on the landing instead.

I'm flummoxed, but I'm sure we'll figure it out .

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
24-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Could be he's finding his paws again, but I would expect the marking to be in the form of urination or spraying, not so much defacation.

Are his 'number 2s' all normal colour and texture? If so then it might be just be a behavioural issue, bless him, but don't know what it could be or how long it could last. I'd be interested to know too! I remember your post, so good that he's doing so well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #5

In my experience cats dont do these things just by way of being "naughty" and after having a cat who did deficate indescriminately for 6 years, and it was always said to be behavioural, imo this is nonsense. As it turned out there was an underlying "medical" issue and because it was never picked up on she sadly died.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
24-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #6

Yes, in my past experience too Elaine cats have only defecated inappropriately when ill. If it's out of character, don't leave it too long. I think Gaina did mention Billy's had blood tests although I can't remember specifically what was checked.

Catsey Junior

24-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies .

I am not buying the 'naughty' thing either. I know defecation is a method of scent marking but as you say not as usual as spraying. He's never, ever done that indoors.

His poo is normal and as I say during the day he's extremely clean and goes in his box or outside.

The only thing I can think of is that his appetite is way better than it's been since he started the BP and thyroid meds, so I don't know if that's a factor, but again he's specifically choosing to go upstairs first thing in the morning and do it.

I'm convinced there's method in his madness, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Elaine - I'm so sorry about your cat. What was the medical issue? Billy was at the vets for a follow-up last week and she was really happy with his progress so I don't think we've got an underlying condition aside from the over active thyroid and blood pressure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #8

Giana, it is thought that her condition was brought about by either an Irritable bowel or pancreas issue which was never treated or picked up on, as she had boughts of upset tummies on and off. We will never know for sure as no investigation was ever done early on despite my changing vets several times and asking their opinions. But this latterly developed into cholangiohepatitis, she was very ill for several weeks, we were refered to the Edinburgh Royal Dick vet school and afer an ultrasound it was discovered that her gallbladder was dangerously distended, they aspirateded the fluid several times to releive the pressure and then they found a mass in her bileduct. An operation was possible to remove the bileduct but the success rate was very poor and the prognosis wasnt good so we sadly let her go.
But my point is for 6 years every one, vets and behaviourists said it was scent marking and a behaviour issue.
I dont write these things to scare people but rather that they may be able to learn from my sad experience and ultimately Eva's short and uncomfortable life. I'd hate to see another gorgeous cat go through what she did.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #9

Just a thought - as you say Billy usually goes outside if it's dry .... is there a new cat in the area that passes through Billy's territory first thing in the morning? Perhaps he's just trying to avoid confrontation?

Catsey Junior

25-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #10

Hello Elaine

That must have been awful for you, I totally understand why you're eager to help anyone else avoid the same heartache if you can. I'd feel the same way too, and actually I was encouraging my neighbour to take her cat to the vet the other day as it sounds like her cat has hyperthyroidism too, having experience the same symptoms with Billy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Just a thought - as you say Billy usually goes outside if it's dry .... is there a new cat in the area that passes through Billy's territory first thing in the morning? Perhaps he's just trying to avoid confrontation?
There's been a new-ish cat around recently but he's not phased by new cats - just chases them! Haha.

We put some cardboard boxed on the stairs last night, he didn't go up there and we had no little presents this morning so I'm now more sure than before that it's something to do with that part of the house.

He did have an incredibly stressful time at his 10 plus check up with they tried to take his blood, by all accounts and the pooping started after that so I'm wondering if that was part of the problem too.

Anyway, we'll put the cardboard boxes back on the stairs tonight and hope we get the same (clean!) result .