Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: cat
17-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Behaviour-vocalisation

Hello again! Just got my new computer as old one broke.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this.
My cat (female, 10yrs old, spayed) has recentely taken to howling the house down.
It happens usually if i'm busy in the kitchen, cleaning etc
It also happens at random times, this morning she did it at 6.30 am i was drinking my cup of tea in bed, she'd been fed, while the kettle was boiling i let her out as she seemed restless (prowling about) but she wasn't interested.
She keeps going from room to room howling
I'm not sure if she wants attention or what? If you call out to her she'll come in, look at you and head back out. After a while she came back in and settled down for a cuddle
We're pretty stumped but it's becoming highly annoying, when i get in from work i usually sit down and give her a cuddle while i drink my tea before getting on with cleaning; making tea but if i put her down she starts howling
A friend suggested trying Feliway?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

Re: Behaviour-vocalisation

Poor wee girl - that must be alarming for all and she is IMO too young to be exhibiting signs of early dementia.

I would be inclined to have the vet give her a check up, the restlessness may indicate thyroid problems. Is she eating/drinking more than normal?

17-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #3

Yep she shows no other signs of dementia and her hearing is fine (she can here a tuna can miles off )
Her eating is back to normal (after her hepatitis bout in october). She's always been a bit of a piggy but we're controlling very strictly what she gets.
Are there any other symptoms of thryoid problems? She eats well, she hasn't really changed her sleeping pattern etc. A part from her (at least once a day) wondering round the house howling and her being permanently attached to me she seems fine!
She is a bit of a glue pot though she follows me everywhere!

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

I only mentioned thyroid because restlessness can be a symptom, but it is usually seen along with other symptoms such as a change in appetite. There must be a reason for her wailing - you know your little girl best. I admit I had forgotten about her hepatitis bout, so maybe there's another reason to get her checked out?

17-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Yeah i'm off work thursday friday so shall take her to the vets. I must admit that last time the vet suggested looking into animal behaviourists as she does have attachement issues so this is maybe more of that?
Can a blood test show thyroid problems or does it involve more comprehensive exams?

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #6

Yes, a blood test will be able to show T4 (and T3) levels which will tell whether or not your cat is suffering with an overactive thyroid (feline hyperthyroidism). Look it up on the web, there's a lot of information .... most of which doesn't seem to apply to the symptoms you've described!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #7

Could well be high blood pressure, that makes them howl, it can also go hand in hand with thyroid and kidney issues. The vet will be able to tell you exactly what it is though.
Good luck and all the best xxx

17-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #8

Having observed her this evening i wonder if she could be getting bored? I waited for her to start howling (i was sat on the settee with my computer). Beforehand she'd been sat on my knee and she got up had something to eat then wondered into the hallway. I think she tried to do her claws on my new wallpaper but then she gave up (have sprayed the wall in white vinegar) so she howled.
Then she went into the bedroom and looked around and howled again. So i picked her up and showed her the window and she immediately started purring and looking around

Now i'm going to try and play with her a bit more when i get home. But for during the day she had loads of toys she just wasn't interested in
I'll still take her to the vets though just in case!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/hypertension/info.html

http://www.knowyourcat.info/bloodpress.php

http://www.vickyhalls.net/feline_faqs.asp#13