Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed breed
03-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #1

Purring.

Recently I've noticed Wheatley purring a lot, more than what the relatives family's cats have done. Rang my sister up and asked her (she owns a cat) and she says I have a happy cat.
I asked my friend who also owns a cat and she said it could be that he is stressed or happy.

He mainly purrs when he's playing but also when Louie is playing with him, he doesn't look stressed though, but then I'm better with dogs than reading cats..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

Re: Purring.

Although cats do purr if they are in pain or distressed, it is more likely that if he's playing at the time, he's happy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

I'd go with happy Whilst they do purr in other circumstances you can usually tell that something is not quite right. Wheatley sounds as if has has made himself right at home and is very happy where he is lol.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
03-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

I Would Go With " Happy " As Well. My Two Always Purr When They Are Being Stroked Or Sometimes When They Are Cleaning Or Playing With Each Other!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #5

http://www.moggies.co.uk/behaviour.html

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/catspurr.html

http://www.livescience.com/5556-cats...udy-finds.html

Cats purr for a variety of reasons, noise levels vary from cat to cat, sometimes it's a friendly greeting, contentment or even a comforter (which is why they purr when in pain). If there are no other symptoms of stress or distress then I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
03-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Skye constantly purrs when shes around us or grooming herselfwhereas harris only does it when hes getting petted or headbutting us. I would take it as being happy