Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
28-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Rubbing Against Me?

Hi,
My beautiful 15 week old kitten, featured mainly in the post about his cheeky biting, does not show any signs of rubbing against me in that charming 'catty' way, with his ears and head . he also doesn't circle my feet with his tail up like cats do when you greet them or even stroke stranger's cats on teh street. He shows affection, though, with his mighty gurgling purr, stretching and chirrupping like a woodpecker. He loves me and follows me around, and is a very young kitten, so do you think he will ever start when he is a big tomcat?

When he greets me he runs with a high tail, so does the most of it just doesn't rub.

Henry's un-neutered (entire) at the moment but will be neutered at about 6 months, before going outside for the spring. Will he do it more as he gets older or when he is neutered, or will he just never do it and show affection in different ways?

Also, he has no reaction to catnip so obviously doesn't have the gene. You can see him flehming (using the Jacobson's organ) but he never gets a high or rubs against it.

Will he ever rub against me?Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #2

Re: Rubbing Against Me?

Don't give up hope! My lovely handsome Pip turned 2 in June this year and I've noticed how much more affectionate he's becoming, and more vocal too. He's always had a very soft purr, hardly audible but now he miaows when he comes indoors and comes to greet whoever is at home (including the dog!). For quite a while all he would permit was a quick rub around his ears. I think he was just being "a lad".

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #3

I'm not sure at what age they start scent-marking (bunting), but he's a young one and perhaps will start it as he gets a little older. He may or may not be a catnip non-reactor; kittens often don't, but do as they mature a bit. Once again, a little time should tell.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #4

Funnily enough I read this week that kittens six months & under rarely if ever react to catnip, it's only as they get older they find it irresistible

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
29-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #5

I think that Cloud took a while to start rubbing up against me as well... The first time she did it, and the point in time she does it most often, was when I prepared her a wet feed. So it seems to me that something that really pleases them makes rubbing up against you more common...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
29-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

Lester rubs against me but not all the time, he's quite affectionate but at times he's just a boisterous wee boy lol