Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
27-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Kitten Behaviour

Hi,
7 weeks ago we aquired a gorgeous Ragdoll/Ginger tom kitten (he just looks like a very fluffy little ginger boy). I adore him incredibly, he is my first cat but I am getting on very well with him and he simply loves me too.

I know a lot about cats and understand to not frustrate him with the game, to back down and to reinforce strict discipline but, at 15 weeks, my kitten is biting and scratching harder than ever.

He has a very good scratching post that he uses a lot and his claws are not overgrown. He has loads of toys and I exercise him a lot. Of course, I know that kittens are experimenting with fighting and he is teething/treating me like a littermate, but my kitten is completely viscious! I never 'hype' the game up and never wrestle with him but he just runs and attacks my arm, biting hard and doing that awfully painful 'kangaroo kicking' with his back feet. He leaps and bites my face, and I have marks. I really tell him off when he does that. I know shoving him off will make him think it is a game so I just 'yowl' like a pained adult cat. This makes Henry stop for a second and then bite, but weaker, until I keep yowling enough for him to stop. Then, I'll walk away from the game, as Ive read is good, but he will come right up annd do it again but even more painfully! What can I do? He is an incredible kitten and so beautiful, and does have his sleepy moments, but is beginning to be a bit of a handful.

This is what I tried:

Puppy and baby teething rings soaked in chicken broth
Newspaper balls (chews for a minute then never again)
Kitten chew rings
Soft toys to take his energy and play onto (worked for a day but he got bored)

Please note I am not using my hands as the subject of the game and my tellings off are consistant. I also play with him endlessly; running up and down with a string which he loves and doesn't attack me then. He has no confined fear or anger, we have no other cats or dogs and we let him have his private toilet and bed. I never use eye contact apart frm slow, reassuring blinking.

What can I do?

Thanks

P.S - There is one thing I don't really get. People say to stop the kitten play when the tail is flicking, eyes are moving a lot etc. but I find that the only time Henry is playful are those times because he is in hunting mode!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Re: Kitten Behaviour

Sounds like you are really trying with your kittie and in turn he is REALLY trying you
Am sure there will be plenty of advice to follow but the next steps I would try are....
When I tell the kittie off, I would most definately make eye contact, a hard stare as I tell him firmly NO, not angry but firm. As soon as he starts his behaviour and you have firmly told him No, simply get up and walk out of the room, close the door behind you and wait a few minutes. That way the game ends completely there and then.
I know you have tried distraction toys but maybe they arent stimulating enough, maybe invest in a wiggly waggler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTfun...layer_embedded
I can direct you to the website but not on the forum as it's another cat forum and we are not allowed to post such links here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

Ouch! Sounds to me like you are trying very hard to teach your Henry not to bite. As Elaine says try reinforcing "game over" when he bites by leaving him alone. Hope he learns very soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

Wow, he's a determined little fellow, isn't he! I agree with the eye contact, loud emphatic NO! and leaving him alone. Hopefully it will click with him that biting means end of fun.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

You can buy Wiggly Wagglers on eBay.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mini-WIGGL...-/390150243614

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
You can but Wiggly Wagglers on eBay.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mini-WIGGL...-/390150243614

Excellent, I didnt know that. Thanx Mags, I always buy them from a cat rescue site which cannt be named here. Very pleased to hear that E-bay sell them too, makes it easier to point out to people.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Excellent, I didnt know that. Thanx Mags, I always buy them from a cat rescue site which cannt be named here. Very pleased to hear that E-bay sell them too, makes it easier to point out to people.
I do know the one you mean Elaine but as you say, it's against Catsey rules to post their link.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
28-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #8

theres also a toy called "da burd" that you can get off of amazon relatively cheaply. It basically behaves like a bird when you move its stick around and my 2 go mad for it. might be worth a try

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #9

Thanks for that link Mags ....... I can feel Kizzy & Pip presents coming on!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
28-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #10

Hi,
Thanks very much, I will continue training. If not, then I'm sure he will grow out of it. Yes, thanks, I have bought him (for Christmas):
Da Bird with refill (I love those toys because they make him JUMP)
Kitten tunnel
Treats
Turtle Tops Petstages (I would reccommend some petstages toys, they are excellent)
Catit Senses Play Circuit
Harp Bopping rocking toy
Catnip Yeowww toy
Laser toy (for bitey T.V times when I can just get him running)

He's going to be very spoilt, but I just couldn't stop