Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
01-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #1

He's gonna go

Hi all, I bought a kitten back in September. He's so cute but he started to bite & scratch especially my youngest daughter (11). I really need to know how to handle this the right way. I don't know what i have or haven't done wrong. Is he just playing? Will he grow out of it? If i ignore him will it stop or will he think it's OK to behave like this & get worse. There's so much conflicting advice i don't really know which to with. Please can someone help because if i can't correct it i'll have to let him go. Thank you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #2

Re: He's gonna go

Your kitten is very young, I assume you got him around 8 weeks? He is playing with you & your family as he would with his absent litter brothers and sisters. I would suggest introducing some interactive toys which will keep him busy and little mind active. Here is a link for some - the good news is, this phase will pass for puppies and kittens it is part of growing up and fitting into a human family. When he bites - saying " ouch" - remember he will be teething and those gums will be sore, he wont be biting on purpose

Keep exciting toys around the house & if he starts being rough distract him with the toys. You can buy cat treats which most of them love and with patience you can teach your kitten to sit - yes you can train cats. We have one who sits, gives a paw, turns in a circle and begs. Great fun for ŷr 11 year old teaching her new kitten - however it takes time but builds up a relationship none the less. There will be others o n soon with more experience than I. Love to see
photos of your boy and welcome to Catsey.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...1z5g0y4i 8j_b

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #3

Velvet is right - your kitten doesn't know that humans don't have thick fur to protect them and that their claws and teeth hurt a lot! So yes, say ouch and gently put the kitten on the floor. Don't play with the kitten with hands, but use toys. Kittens are very quick and there may be accidental scratches but your kitten won't have done it on purpose.

What's his name?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

Agree with all the above. Stop playing at once when he gets rough ... he'll get the idea.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
01-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #5

Please persevere. Is he a farm cat..?

Please nurture patience, learning for a kitten takes time, and bear in mind that if he's 'gonna go' there is a chance he will get pts, the shelters are overrun with cats needing homes. Your daughter too will learn to read the signs and know when to stop playtime with him, they'll learn from each other in time.

Cats owned: NA
08-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

Thank you to you all. I actually handled it myself as i haven't been able to get back onto forum to read any replies (computer went nuts). I actually re-educated my daughter, i taught her how to handle it. He's ok to me as i am more authoritative than my daughther. All is fine now. Thanks again to all of you that took the time to help. xxx