Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
18-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Will power and the 'I Won't!!!!!!!!!'

OK...

So, on Sunday I picked up one of those dry feed play balls for Cloud as I sometimes feel that any way to get her exercising is a good thing!

Thing is, since then, following the instructions to not feed her any other way (well, wet food excluded, cause that just wouldn't work!), she's had about half of the dry food I'd normally feed her...

I've been operating on the lines of 'she'll eat if she's hungry' and she does, but... The last thing she needs is to go on a diet!

Has anyone got experience of these? How long is it safe to go on with her like this before conceding defeat?

She's still getting her wet food - was complaining to me earlier as this mornings offering was tuna, but she has now had that... Just, it's not enough on its own...

Any thoughts?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
18-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #2

Re: Will power and the 'I Won't!!!!!!!!!'

I think if she doesn't actually need to use the ball, then it's a nice to have. If she doesn't need to lose any weight then I'd feed her without the ball, the last thing you want is her losing weight she doesn't need to.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #3

I bought a treat ball for Pip (not sure it's quite the same thing) and I generally put a dozen or so Dreamies in the ball for him to play with as he will. Sometimes he works at it until they are all gone, sometimes he just loses interest after a while (and sometimes the treats get stuck). I haven't altered his normal food though. Last time he was at the vet for his annual check up, the vet called him "Mr Consistency" as his weight was exactly the same as last year.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #4

Is there any special reason you want her on dry also? I'm personally wary of it because of cystitis possibilities. Maybe you can out-stubborn her ... I have never been able to do so, all of my cats "Won't!" power has always been greater than my will power. Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

18-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses...

Pauline... I can understand that reasoning, and I might give in and go that way some point. Thing is, if she's refusing to use the ball when she doesn't need it, and I give in, what does that tell her for when she does need it?

Angie... Yeah, she's got something similar with treats. She's usually quite willing to play with it, as long as there is something exciting inside. Dry food just doesn't quite do it, apparently!

Eileen... TBH it's a mix of different things. Main reason is that the vet said that it was good for her teeth to eat a certain amount of dry food. I do try to make sure it's a good quality dry, but... *shrugs*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Katy, why might she need to use the ball to eat ?

Catsey Veteran

18-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

As in if she doesn't take enough exercise as she gets older, being a house cat... I'm not saying it'll happen, just that it isn't impossible either.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

Some cats are like some people; they're not that into exercise. Leia never has been.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
As in if she doesn't take enough exercise as she gets older, being a house cat... I'm not saying it'll happen, just that it isn't impossible either.
right i understand Katy.
I'd be inclined to give half her biscuit allowance in the ball and the other half in her dish as usual. If she doesn't play with it on occasions then i'd give her all her food in the dish.
Have you tried rabbit fur mice to get her to play, even fat jerry likes these , also catnip can sometimes get them to play or maybe a kitty teaser.