Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
25-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Biting necks

Just been researching why Harris is continually trying to or managing to bite Skyes neck. Alot of things i have read have said it is a form mating behaviour for the male or also a dominance act. It usually results in Skye meowing and fighting back or there have been other times she has just sat there but the things i have read have said that he is biting her neck in order to stun her and prevent her from moving as part of a mating act.

Was just wondering what others thought or if you have experienced this type of behaviour?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

Re: Biting necks

Sorry - no experience of this sort of behaviour. Poor Skye must be wondering what's going on.

Catsey Veteran

25-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

i know poor soul!! we have been wondering for a while why he keeps doing it but both have been neutered/spayed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

My male Aby did this once, although he was neutered, when Misty came into heat just before her op; he never did it again. That's my only experience, so no help whatsoever, sorry! Ask the vet??

Catsey Veteran

25-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

we are going to when we next go with Harris, we have also noticed that he puts his tail rigid in the air at times and it looks as if he is trying to spray but doesnt.Hes just a strange wee cookie i think!!!!

this is the link i have been rwading along with others that say very similar things

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5092325AA3R3QA

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
25-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

Neck-bite is a part of the mating ritual. Of quite a number of species of animal. Whether that is the act Harris bases his action on, is possibly a different matter. I've only seen this behaviour in cats that have been neutered when fully mature.
Rover did the tail-trembling as well. No spraying either. As if he's learned it from his testosterone that told him to mark his turf (while he had testes) but didn't teach him the whole procedure before he was whisked off to the vet to be fixed.

Poor Skye - any chance that she'll give a him a good swat to make him stop?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

In my experience the spraying doesn't always go away after neutering. Never in the house, but Sultan would spray his spots marking his territory when outside on his harness. Females will sometimes do the tail-straight-up waggle dance as if they're going to spray too. Misty did, so did Patches, Leia, never.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #8

Oliver has always done it to Casper.......they are both neutered boys!

Catsey Veteran

25-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Neck-bite is a part of the mating ritual. Of quite a number of species of animal. Whether that is the act Harris bases his action on, is possibly a different matter. I've only seen this behaviour in cats that have been neutered when fully mature.
Rover did the tail-trembling as well. No spraying either. As if he's learned it from his testosterone that told him to mark his turf (while he had testes) but didn't teach him the whole procedure before he was whisked off to the vet to be fixed.

Poor Skye - any chance that she'll give a him a good swat to make him stop?
That sounds exactly what Harris doing. Hes definately not spraying thankfully. He was neutered at 6month so dont think he was fully matured at that time. Skye does bat him sometimes but it doesnt deter him. He a stubborn wee toad!!! Did you give rover into trouble for doing it?

Moli, sounds like you have your hands full witth your 2 boys!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #10

Little Kizzy (spayed girl) does the tail waggle thing but has never sprayed, unless she does manage to do it outside.

Hope the vet can suggest something to help.