Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
18-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #11

Re: Teaching a cat to use a cat flap

Hi miggy, I'm following this thread as I have got an indoor cat with no concept of cat flap management and I have bought her a covered litter tray. As yet no interest in discovering the purpose of the cat flap door from her, we'll see how it goes.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
18-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #12

Miggy, yes getting rid of the scent of the previous cat who used the flap will certainly make them feel more confident in using it and claiming it as their own. But try the flipping it a with your hand aproach too, that has always worked with my cats over the years.
Once you see your cats sitting by it and looking through it you know that the interest is there and they should follow through once they feel it is safe for them to go out. From my experience it's not something that you can really force them to do, I just leave them to do it in their own sweet time.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
18-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #13

I used treats to get my cats to use it. I stood on the outside with the flap open and gave them treats. The same on the way in. As they were greedy sods, they picked it up in no time! Now Oliver was different. He was desperate to get out since he was wee. He just went through at 100 miles an hour, no treats required! lol