Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tabby Male / Ginger Female
17-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Teaching a cat to use a cat flap

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips for teaching a cat to use a cat flap?! We have tried treats, we have tried toys, we have propped it open, but when it is shut, they will not go through it.

I am reluctant to just grab one and push them through - as i don't want them to associate it with fear or anything like that.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks all!

Claire

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

Re: Teaching a cat to use a cat flap

With Cassie I held the flap open just a little bit when she was near it and I assume she picked up the smell of fresh air. When she had her head against the flap I took my hand away and she continued through it. I did the same when she wanted to come in ........ she was fine with it after a day.

How long have you had the cat flap?

17-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

We have moved house around 4 weeks ago - they were not allowed out for over a week, so we kept a cover over it in case. But now we are struggling to get them to use it.

It is not a normal set up either which doesn't help. We have one flap going from the house into the garage, and then another in the garage door to outside... so effectively we have to teach them to use 2. I think it adds confusion that the first one doesn't go "outside".

I think if they get the use of one though the second will just follow.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #4

Yes, I think you're right ..... I don't suppose the garage smells of fresh air so they aren't tempted to explore. Not absolutely sure how to encourage them, if you've already tried tempting them with treats. Perhaps persistence is the only way and just keep at it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
17-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #5

Have you tried just 'posting' them through the cat flap with a treat at the other side? It worked for me.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
17-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #6

They'll use it in their own time, I'm sure they will.
Don't forget it's a whole new environment for them and they need to explore it when they feel safe and settled.
When I had my extension done and a new tunnel built in I waited until my 2 were in ear shot then 'used' the flap myself, just swinging it a few times with my hand so they get to be curious as to who is using their flap. It worked with one, the other was quite happy letting her servant go to the door every time she wanted in or out... and she got away with this for as long as she could milk it.
A word of caution with cats and cars and I'm not being picky here, I have heard of some horrific stories of cats getting trapped under back or front wheels while sleeping near them or getting in their path when the owner has come home to greet them. Make sure they're nowhere near when reversing or driving into the garage, they're still getting used to their new home and may not be aware of the dangers of a cat flap that goes through a garage and just like to hang out there. Sorry to be preaching the obvious but you'd be amazed at the extent to which it occurs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

We use covered litter trays with swing doors so using the cat flap was no problem at all. How about borrowing or buying a covered litter tray, prop door open for week & keep really tasty treats in it to entice them into it then once they get used to going in & out, see if they will do it with the flap down. If successful you could put in garage with treats to encourage the cats to use the house flap to get out to garage & do on..

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
18-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

My daughter's cat would use the flap to go out but yowled on the step every time she wanted in - until something frightened her one day!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
18-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #9

I had Tiger for about 6 months before I fitted the cat flap, it took him a few days to get used to it and then he was fine. He would cry at the door to get out/in and I would open the cat flap first to let him see before I gave in and let him use the door. I think it's all about lack of confidence with your two as it's all so new.

18-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #10

Hi,

Firstly... we are not actually using the garage for the car, so there is no danger there, but thanks for the concern.

They are still not using it, but we plan to scrub it rim of the cat flap this weekend, as we think because it was used by other cats before we moved into the house, they may be put of by the scent. There are some cat hairs still attached - so we will see if that makes a difference!

I guess it is just patience and time that will see this one through!