Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #21

Re: My little smudge is a killer

As I've noted before, an experienced hunter learns how to stalk without making the bell jingle .....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
25-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #22

Re: My little smudge is a killer

Lolly to reiterate,..the birds will be feeding at 1st light, this is the time when they are most vulnerable, along with the moulting season late summer. A small bird such as a blue tit must eat 3 quarters of their bodyweight in the winter in order to survive, and they must do this 1st thing or soon after. So letting Smudge out late morning would certainly give the birds more of fighting chance, although they would still be caught.
Their next important main feed wil be late afternoon before dusk. But the birds will feed all day too so are always vulnerable.

The cats I have had that have been prolific hunters have all mellowed out with age and caught less, if that's any comfort!

Also remember that a cat's saliva is toxic, if Smudge brings home any 'escapees' that have even the tiniest puncture or blood visible then sadly they will die within 3 days if not given an antibiotic shot immediately.

As dandysmom has noted cats hunt using the element of suprise and sussing out their hunting ground and prey. A bell will NOT be heard when he is lying in wait in the right spot or carefully stalking...sadly.