Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #11

Re: My little smudge is a killer

Your Smudge is gorgeous lolly! Of course you can't stay mad at such a handsome fellow for long - good idea to keep him in around dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #12

Hes very handsome!

Cats owned: black shorthaired
18-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty
Lolly I have the same problem with Oliver. Although, lately I have noticed, he is not so interested in the birds, as I can see them come down to feed when he is in the garden watching. But, he is bringing 2 voles a day into the house now. Some are dead, some are not!!!! So, all I can say is, maybe Smudge will lose interest as well, eventually. (hopefully)
Fingers Crossed we have had a couple of good days now He has taken to sleeping with me and gets up when I get up to let the chickens and dogs out.

I think I will continue until the birds have all learnt to fly properly and are at less risk. Smudge doesn't seem bothered at all either so good result all round.

I have only ever had one mouse in the house lol and lucky for the field mouse he was totally unharmed I opened the door and chased him out but smudge did bring me a rabbits foot once the odd thing was I had just been saying to my partner why cant someone bring me some good luck for a change smudge looked at me then disappeared 10 Min later he came in and dropped a rabbits foot at my feet.
My partner said that's supposed to be lucky I replied not so lucky for the rabbit though

Thanks for all the reply s I can see I'm going to love it here xx

Cats owned: black shorthaired
18-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #14

Thanks velvet He is handsome isn't he I wont tell him his head may swell lol. Must admit I love him to bits he is my pride and joy My little cuddle monster x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #15

Good news that he's not bringing you birds; loved that story about the rabbit's foot! Glad to hear you're enjoying the form!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
21-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #16

Tiger has been a prolific hunter in his day, I hated when he brought poor wee birds or voles back. I did start to try and restrict when he went out to try and help curb his hunting. He isn't as fast these days but it's the nature of the beast.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
17-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #17

You poor thing.

I had the same problem as you have. I can remember cleaning up the front room of feathers, when my cat brought a bird in one night from the garden.

I've managed to save a few of those unfortunates my cat caught. One was a baby mouse. I got it from my cats jaws in the garden. It was stunned, so I put it in a padded shoebox, thinking I would put the mouse out when it recovered. However, it recovered quite soon and got out of the shoebox. As I sat on the settee, I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. There was the mouse in the middle of the room, washing itself quite happily. Then I realised I was a bit scared of mice, but I had to put it outside. It was awful, but I managed it.

The thing is, it's natural for cats to catch their own prey. Still for your sake, I hope Smudge has calmed down a bit.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
22-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolly2012
Hello I hope someone may help with this new problem.
The thing is my little smudge who butter wouldnt melt has been on a killing spree I had a complaint from a lady a few doors down saying he is destressing the birds in her garden.
I added a large bell to his collar and hoped this would scare the birds if he went for them. The week before the complaint he brought in a large black bird lucky for the bird it was unharmed and I managed to get smudge to drop him and he flew away out of my bedroom window. But this morning he had a little blue tit and killed it and I also found a headless sparrow in the front garden this morning too.

Is there anything I can do to stop him killing these poor souls. I find it upsetting He is fed plenty and I cant understand why he does it. He is also fighting with other cats doesn't like people except for me and my partner, he wont allow the dogs upstairs he goes for them viciously.
I love him so much but have fell out with him and am ignoring his attempts at attention today to hopefully teach him I don't like his behaviour.

He is due to have his bits off within the next month so, now he goes out ( he used to be a stop at home cat until I moved house ) hopefully the fighting will stop but will it help the birds

thanks in advance for any advice.x
I have exactly the same issue with Mika with regards to killing birds and like you i dont like it at all, but i think, as others have said it's just in their nature. she is a very good hunter. We did manage to save a starling that she had in her mouth but she has killed two birds that I know off in the last three months. I am going to get her a bell too.

Hopeful having his bits off may stop him fighting with other cats.

Hope you get him sorted

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #19

I had the same with Mitzi and Putney, it should lessen dramatically as Smudge gets much older. Sometimes hunting seems to worsen as cats move home or owner, they feel that they have to prove something and bring home the meal each day, Putney was prolific, 3 mice a day, sometimes baby rats which I had to rescue and relocate! Once when Dad was staying he opened up his suitcase to put on his Sunday best and out jumoed a tiny mouse which we chased around the bedroom. Quick as lightening it ran up Dad's pyjama trouser leg then out and immediately up my sleeve! We were laughing our socks off trying to catch the little monkey until Dad discovered it had nibbled several holes in his shirt..

Good idea Lolly keeping Smudge in when the birds are having their 1st important meal of the day and are at their weakest. The little uns are grown up since you 1st posted but the moulting season makes most birds particularly vulnerable too.

And what a sweetie! Who couldn't forgive that cutsie face!!

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #20

I have this problem with Beau, he catches mice, rats and birds on an almost daily basis.

the collar and bell didnt work for us, because he seems to lose the collars within a day of wearing them (the ones with the safety clip) I refuse to buy the old type of collar which would probably stay on longer.

The only thing we can do is shoo the birds away if we see them in our garden or our neighbours.

Good luck x