Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
28-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Suckling

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone elses cat has a habit of suckling on things such as blankets / beds etc.

I've never known a cat that does this before but since getting Kaos, he regularly goes to his bed after he's had cuddles and will lay there padding with his front paws, purring loudly and sucking on the material. He has also recently started on my dressing gown and my big fluffy polar bear teddy that is on my bed.

I don't mind him doing it at all,although it can get a bit irritating when he leaves big wet patches on my dressing gown I've spoken to loads of people since I've had him and it turns out that it's quite a common thing.

Strange things they do!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
28-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Re: Suckling

It means you have a very happy cat, so is only a good thing, wet patch on dressing gown or not. If you don't want that, don't leave the dressing gown where he can get to it...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #3

One of our cats regularly does this, I see no harm at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
28-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

Ours dont, but ive heard of it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

I too have heard it's relatively common and nothing to worry about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Yes, it's common behaviour. I have heard that it can happen if a kitten leaves it's mother too soon - not sure how accurate that is though. The butter making - kneading - is also common and is how a kitten stimulates it's mother to produce milk.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
29-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

Oliver does this with me all the time. I dont know whether to try and stop him or not. I dont really mind it that much, but he is getting quite big now and tries to curl up at my shoulder to do it! lol

Cats owned: 3 domestic shorthair
09-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

Our youngest cat,little Ollie,6, does it-
we have a throw on the couch he uses ,plus a big throw on 1 of the dog beds-both are furry and strangely enough ginger coloured-and he is a little ginger boy
It sends him all gozzy eyed
I call them his "mum blankets"as like a previous post said-its what kittens when they are feeding from their mum
Maureen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #9

Amber has just over the past week or so started to do this on my bed - bed spread and kneeding her paws, she goes all glassy eyed if that is the right description and half closes her eyes at the same time and if you strain your ears hard enough, you can hear a very very faint purr.

As Amber is not a demonstrative cat and hates cuddles etc [she still gets them ] I feel quite privilaged when she does do it. I rub gently under one of her ears and tell her how good she is

Cats owned: 3 domestic shorthairs
26-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #10

Our year-old black cat, Olive, does this, and has since she was a kitten. She suckles on my forearm but will get under the covers and suck on my upper arm. She also likes to lick hubby's armpits. Quite weird but as it seems to make her so happy I've never tried to stop her.