Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #1

Telling Kizzy "no"

It's been so long since I've had to tell a young cat not to do something! Kizzy has been happily using the cat scratcher and I've been saying "good girl" whenever I see her do this. This afternoon she started ripping at the chair in the office so I touched her nose very lightly and said "no". She was off as if I'd raised my voice, which I hadn't.

How do you gently discipline a little cat that has had an uncertain history to date? I don't want her to get into bad habits but obviously I don't want to scare her. Advise needed please!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
19-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #2

Re: Telling Kizzy "no"

small water pistol? That means she won't associate it with you.

I used it with Kinsi - only prob was the pistol made a noise so she used to hear the noise and run before the water hit her ( wee smartipants) so make sure if you do that it is a silent one.

Also clapping hands, making a bang with a newspaper against a wall or chair.

It is hard when you don't know her history, but I was too soft with Kinsi scratching carpets to get in/out of doors and I have 3 holes that will need repaired - so be strong.

Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

That's exactly what I would have done, Angie, a gentle nose tap and NO! But I see what you mean about her unknown previous history making you a tad wary of disciplining her..... the only other suggestion would to distract her quickly with something else...throw a ball, toss a small treat, pick her up for a quick cuddle; but then she might associate the action with a reward.... ????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

I would say a firm no, I wouldn't necessary do the nose tap (my cats are too quick!!! LOL)

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
20-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #5

im in the same boat to a certain extent angie.. Harri is into everything... i find that clapping my hands and saying no sorks sometimes... i tried the water pistal with George and Tinky... and they both ended up likeing water... Tinky more so than George... (he would stand there and wait for me to squirt him and then lick off the water!)
A friend of mine old me yesterday that cats dont like orange peel.. and she swears by putting some orange peel in corners and places that her cats scratched and they eventually stopped scratching.. i will try this when i get home in a few days time... the other thing ive heard for scratching is double sided tape cause apparently they dont like the stickyness on their paws... and they dont associate with you... so that may be worth a try

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #6

I just used a spppss, spppss noise with the boys when they were little.
Make it a noise unlike any you would use to call or comfort them and say it in a normal tone whilst removing your cat from whatever you want it away from, or whilst making it stop the unwanted behaviour. No need to shout or scare them.
Good luck with Kizzy - I'm sure it will work out; it's very early days whilst she gets her bearings and learns her limits

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #7

Thanks for this advice. She is generally a good girl but I let Merlin get away with scratching the furniture when he was a kitten and rued the day. Didn't have Catsey friends and knew nothing about scratching posts until later. She has not scratched the chair again and I praise her when she uses the scratching post.

I will use the sppppsss noise I think - as I don't want to alarm her with hand clapping especially as she does seem to be alarmed by some noises, like doors banging etc.

I am going to do a "10 day on thread" probably tomorrow to give an idea of how she has changed ....... nearly all for the better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks for this advice. She is generally a good girl but I let Merlin get away with scratching the furniture when he was a kitten and rued the day. Didn't have Catsey friends and knew nothing about scratching posts until later. She has not scratched the chair again and I praise her when she uses the scratching post.

I will use the sppppsss noise I think - as I don't want to alarm her with hand clapping especially as she does seem to be alarmed by some noises, like doors banging etc.

I am going to do a "10 day on thread" probably tomorrow to give an idea of how she has changed ....... nearly all for the better.

I like that idea, will be very interesting!