Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
15-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #1

New Koko problem

Honestly I am beginning to wonder why I got her. Still v v nervous, still untouchable but otherwise plays like a kitten and eats well.

OK new problem. If I leave my bedroom door open in the morning, she jumps on the bed and pees. Three times I have stripped the bed and washed everything and this is tedious.

I shut the door - about four or five days in a row and she can't get in. This morning I forgot and she nips in and pees. Of course after the event there is little I can say or do to the cat - but I need to know why and how to stop it, so please I need more of your sensible advice.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
15-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #2

Re: New Koko problem

she maybe marking her territory,,

the dog used to do it if i left the living room door open at nite,but now at nite i make sure i close it,no more pee

hope it gets better

Catsey Junior

15-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Maybe, I just read Celia Haddons page on the net and she says one reason they pee where it smells strongly of you, is love. Now considering her inability to get stroked, or come too near maybe thats it.

She does get closer and closer and doesn't always run a mile at any movement.

Ok shut the door, and?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
15-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #4

hopefully it will stop

mibbee give her something old of urs to lie on

my dog doesnt leave me presents anymore

my cat ive had since she was 6wks old she's now just over 1 yrs old,only comes near me when SHE wants attention,at nite i have to find something for her to chase to get her out the living room,as she wont just let me pick her up,she's not very sociable,as i live alone so dont see many people,i guess wot im saying is,i know its hard but i think u just need to accept her as she is.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #5

You're sounding - quite understandbly - stressed and annoyed with all this. Do you think this might be rubbing off on Koko?

I have had bouts of inappropriate peeing from one of my cats - he still does it given half a chance but I've learnt to lay tin foil over the places where he pees and 99.9 times out of a hundred he stops.

Also - and I know you can't do this ON your bed, but maybe another litter tray placed very near to where the peeing is taking place might help to clarify for poor Koko where exactly is an OK place to widdle.

Hang on in there - a bit of patience will hopefully see you through this.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #6

How old is Koko now? I think it may now be time to try to get her used to her carrier so you can get her checked out at the vet to make sure she doesn't have any urinary tract infection which can sometimes makes cats wee on soft places for comfort.

Another thought, it may be time to have her spayed as this can counteract territorial behaviour such as marking etc.

No matter how many times you wash the bedding, a cat can still pick up the scent of where it has been, their sense of smell is a lot stronger than ours.
There's a product you could try called Nature's Miracle..... it has natural enzymes in it that get rid of odour, this may deter her from using your bed again.

I hope things improve soon, good luck!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
15-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #7

Have you tried Feliway spray...it has a few uses.. one of which is to prevent and stop urine spraying in cats.. it also acts as a calming agent in cats that are anxious. I haven't had to use it for urine problems but i have had some sucess with it as a calming agent...
here is website for it.. (hope it's allowed to put on here??)
I haven't used the diffuser but i have used the spray..(and still do.. it lasts ages) as i decided that it would be more versatile
http://www.feliway.com/gb

good luck

Catsey Junior

15-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #8

No she was quite happily boucing around me and following me - so the fact I had to change the bed again - well so I didn't shout at her - or really react, there is little point as she would not know why.

She has two litter trays both of which she happily uses, enthusiastically showering all around with white litter. Even the lidded one has escaped litter round it...... well thats what a hoover is for.

As she seems to pee as soon as I have gone to make a cuppa, almost when the bed is still warm it seems purposful. Oh the door is open all night and she comes in and onto the bed whenever whe likes, doesn't pee when I am there!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #9

Poor you and poor Koko, you both have my sympathies. House soiling is a very frustrating issue. This may be worth a read in order to try to resolve the issue.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/broch...sesoiling.html
I would also say, as Mags has, have her checked by a vet, always best to rule out any medical issues before assuming it's behavioural.
All the very best to you both xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #10

I can't improve on any of the excellent advice above; meanwhile, remember to CLOSE THE DOOR!! Poor Koko poor you...(((hugs)))