Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: RAGDOLLS & MOGGIES
22-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #1

Ragdoll @ studs become aggressive

Hi there
New to the forums so hi!
Ive come on here as im concerned about my cat so i wanted some advise from people who have more experience!
Not sure if this is in the correct section so apologies if it isnt.
I took my ragdoll down to our chosen stud yesterday, it will be her first ever mating. She has been in contact with other cats.
However once we got her down to the Stud she became very hissy and started growling i put this down to new smells etc, which it probably was.
I spoke with the lady last night and she said the cat had attacked her with teeth and claws which is so unusual for her as even when playing she never used claws let alone teeth,
Ive tried calling the lady today but to no avail yet.
So my questions are
Is this normal behavious for cats when going for their first mating?
Also whats the chances of her accepting the male in time to mate if shes like this? as she was already in heat for 3 days before we could take her?
Quick response are very appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #2

Re: Ragdoll @ studs become aggressive

If the breeder you went to was experienced, I would think she would be the best person to answer your concerns. It isn't unusual for the queen and the stud to be very wary of each other on their first introduction.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
23-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

Re: Ragdoll @ studs become aggressive

Hi Raggie

It may not be that she was quite ready for mating i.e. she had just come into call. Sometimes it's better to wait until they are 2/3 days into calling before taking them to stud. If you take them too soon you also risk knocking them out of call, which it sounds like in your little girl's case.

I would go and collect her and bring her home. Being there is clearly stressing her out by the sounds of it.

A little hissing is to be expected, but a lot of hissing, scratching and biting is not normal and not good for her.

Next time she comes into call I would wait a few days until she is desperate to be mated, and then take her.

Also, as she's a maiden she won't know what's going on!! Also, if your stud is a long way away and there is a long car journey that can knock girls out of call.

Good luck next time.