Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Shorthair
11-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #1

9 week old kitten has started to pee everywhere!

I have a 9 week old kitten,we have her mum too.
Her brother went to his new home on Sunday 8th March ( 3 days ago).
The mum was spayed, had stitches out and has started going out since Saturday.
The kitten has wet out of the litter tray only a couple of times up to now, but today, she has literally wet everywhere, non stop. On the bed was the first place this morning, in the washing basket, on the floor, behind the TV.
I think it might be stress due to her brother going and her mum going outside, but any ideas what else it could be?
Or, if it is stress, what can we do to stop her?
When she has done it, i rub her nose in it then put her straight in the litter tray, but I just don't know what to do.
Please help!!!xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #2

Re: 9 week old kitten has started to pee everywhere!

I think she probably is stressed. Have you moved her litter tray? Maybe try confining her space a little until she feels a bit more secure.

Please don't rub her nose in it. It will only make her frightened of you and will not teach her anything at all as she won't relate the action to the deed. Better put her in the tray after she's eaten, when she wakes up and when she's been playing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #3

Please, never, never rub her nose in it; she doesn't understand and will only stress her more!!! I suspect it may be stress; you might try getting as Feliway dispenser which has a calming effect. Have you changed litter brands? That can upset them also.

11-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Ok thanks, as for rubbing her nose in it, I dont mean hard or horribly, just so she can smell it.
Litter the same brand and tray in the same place.
Thanks for your comments.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #5

It may be worth popping her along to the vet, if she's wetting everywhere non stop she could have a urinary infection which would need to be treated.....

11-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #6

Great thanks, will call the vet tomorrow morning.
Thanks everyone.xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #7

Let us know how your kitten gets on, won't you? Good luck at the vet.

11-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #8

Will do, thanks.x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
11-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #9

Does the litter tray smell attractive to the kitten? by that I mean does it smell of pee so that she gets reminded to do it in there. When I had a similar problem once, I mopped up the pee with a tissue, I then buried the tissue in the cat litter and kept popping the kitten into the tray every hour or so to reinforce the habit.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
12-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #10

Who in the world told you to rub her nose in it? If you do this, or even force her anywhere near it, she will just learn to do it in a place she thinks you cannot find it!

First rule out that she has anything medically wrong with her, then start from basics as you first litter trained her in the first place. Now you have 2 cats do they have a tray each? Some cats will not go in the same tray as another cat. Some cats will not go in a tray if it has poo in it or if it has wet or sticky bits in it. She is only little so she can't hold it for too long either. If ever she is shut in a room without a tray in it at this age then there is a high chance she will go elsewhere. Also, is she very familiar around the house? At this age I usually have a tray in whichever room the kitten happens to be in (and make sure they know where it is) 'til they are about 12 weeks when they can hold their bladder a bit better.