Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: tabby tom
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

hello all, Khan's story

Afraid I don't have a photo at the moment, and I'll try not to go on too long - I have an 11 year old tabby neutered tom called Khan, he is a massive cat weighing 21lb at the last count but he's over a metre long when he stretches! I'm being a bit unfair calling him fat really he's just huge!!! Took him tothe vets for a check up and the nurse called 2 vets in because she couldn't believe the size of him, they said he's not particularly overweight he's just part tiger . Anyway Khan has not had a lot of luck he was hit by a car several years ago and was left with slight brain damage and only half of his teeth, since then he has also had to have two eye operations for inverted lids due to the scar tissue from the accident he also limps in the cold weather. I'm not sure whetherto put my query here or in the behaviour section, I shall try here and I'm sure some-one will tell me otherwise. Khan has been a crier since his accident but lately he has become a nightmare, it is constant with nothing appeasing him, we love him dearly but just don't know what to try next, is there anything that I can give him to make him more content?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
06-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #2

Re: hello all, Khan's story

has he had a brain scan???? one of my previous cats was like that for yrs,she was 1 n a half when i got her from a rescue place,she'd been hit by a car.eventually by the time she was 8 her balance went n she got a bit aggressive,a brain scan showed she had a brain leasion(a tear in her brain)so no wonder she cried,and always when passing a table used to purposely bang her head under it,she musta been in constant pain

06-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #3

No he hasn't, that sounds expensive, how much did it cost you?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
06-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebat
No he hasn't, that sounds expensive, how much did it cost you?

i dont really know as she got put to sleep.it was over 26 yrs ago,ive had various cats since,my oldest cat is now 15 and youngest is nearly 1

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #5

I would get his thyroid levels checked, he is at an age where it can develop and it can cause crying and agitation. One of our cats, Samson was like this and he turned out to have an overactive thyroid, it could also be due to high blood pressure or diabetes. Don't worry they are all treatable and I would have bloods done to check these things before I got down the route of a brain scan. It may well be needed if it is none of these but better to rule them out first.
The calling could be due to him being hyper or feeling unwell. Have you noticed any other symptoms, drinking more, eating more, peeing more, losing weight, is his eyesight OK.
Saying that, there was nothing obvious with Samson, except for calling, at 3am, especially.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

I agree that blood work would be a good idea. He's a bit young for it, but it may be possible that he has feline dementia....calling and wailing loudly and seeming a bit disoriented are symptoms. poor old boy! You might think of getting a Feliway diffuser to calm and relax him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #7

I would definitely get a vet to run blood tests and failing anything conclusive, a brain scan. Dementia is possible as is brain damage or something milder that is causing him concern and confusion. As with humans, head trauma can often lead to much delayed symptoms.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
06-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #8

Just another wee thought, is he peeing OK and not in dribs and drabs. Large, indoor, neutred male cats can be prone to cystitis, which can be very uncomfortable. If you do go in for tests, it might be an idea to take a urine sample as well.

06-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #9

wow, thanks for all of the replies! I'll try to answer all of the points; he doesn't seem to be any different healthwise - he's still eating/drinking ok, he certainly hasn't lost any weight - he's always been fed on dried food but since his old buddy Bear got kidney problems and couldn't cope with normal cat food and the dog has food allergies we've been feeding him wet food so he clears his bowl quicker; he has about 2 tins a day plus a few biscuits which he finds a bit of a challenge now he's had more teeth out! I couldn't say about his toilet habits as he goes outside and he certainly doesn't hang about for an audience! His eyes seem to be ok apart from the winking on one side which he's done since the accident. I know it sounds awful but the cost of blood tests scares the life out of me, we've spent close to £2000 getting him well (ish) and when Bear had to have blood tests done it cost over £100 and I just don't know if I can get that sort of money at the moment - obviously if it was the last resort I'd have to. sorry guys it sounds terrible doesn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #10

It can be very rough when you don't have pet insurance, can't it? Try getting the Feliway, they're not too expensive and may calm and relax him a bit ..... is it possible to discuss fees and deferred payment with your vet?