Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 female non pedigree, one tortie a
06-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #1

Elderly cats being picky

Hi, I registered some time ago, but havn't been back for a while !
My 2 ,16 year old girls (not sisters) are getting progressively pickier with their food.
I'm tearing my hair out !
Both of them have got kidneys that aren't 100 % but after months of trying them on special diets,and all of us getting progressively frustrated ! I'm just letting them eat what they like
Do you think it's worth trying the Royal Canin food variety for fussy eaters ?
Help !

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #2

Re: Elderly cats being picky

I swear by Royal Canin - my 2 persians will eat nothing else; well, apart from prawns, ham, chicken, pate, fish etc etc

Seriously - if the Picky Eater food doesn't interfere with their dietary restrictions I would certainly try it.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Catsey!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
06-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #3

welcome to catsey

royal canine is quite good are cats have it sometimes and they love it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
06-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #4

Hi Lynda! Well, I'm sort of in the same boat at the moment. I have 3 cats, one is on a special diet due to tummy troubles and she'll eat whatever is put down in front of her, one is on good old katkins and the other had a blocked urethra at the weekend. The vet sent him home with special urinary food, he is not enjoying it at all! I have cut out the biscuits for them all due to the scare but as my cat won't eat the special food (or at least only a little bit of it), I've had to let him eat some of his normal katkins too. Tbh with you if your cats won't eat the special diet, give them what they will eat, just monitor their 'treat' in take, either that or speak to your vet! Hope this helps.x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #5

My Leia had a spell of cystitis last December when she was 7; first time. She absolutely refused to eat the RC special wet food the vet suggested. So I let her eat her usual wet food, but cut way down on the dry food she had for snacks, and she's been fine ever since, no recurrence. At 16, I'd be inclined to let them eat what they like, within reason. Do let us know how it's going!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 female non pedigree, one tortie a
06-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #6

Thanks for all your advice, my vet did say to me it depends how much of a battle you want to have with them over special diets!
Last Friday I had to take Rosie , the Tortie to the vet, as she had some scuffed claws and seemed in a bit of pain, plus having a cut on the side of her mouth.
The vet though she might have been trapped somewhere outside. She checked her thoroughly and put her on painkillers and antibiotics.
She seems much better, but still isn't eating normally.
Cats, they do worry you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #7

Hello and welcome.
My cats were elderly and had kidney trouble Chronic Renal Failure CRF - and neither liked the special food - so I let them eat what they wanted my thoughts were - better to eat something than eat nothing.
Oscar was PTS aged 23 and 4months had had CRF for 2 years1 month. And required no fluids or treatment for his CRF. But di had steriods for his arthritis.
Cleo his sister is still here she will be 25 in August and also has CRF she was diagnosed wit it in Jan 2006 and also does not have the special diet she eats what she wants small and often is the answer I think of whatever she likes, for my cats is quality of life is more important than quantity. As long as they enjoy life thats all I want, oh by the way I have learnt to add a table spoon or so of water to their food so they are taking liquid on board.
What are your cats called?
Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #8

Sounds like you have a pretty pragmatic vat there and you have the right attitude. Like everyone else who has responded, I think that eating a decent amount is way more important than eating only special diets.
Try to get your girls to take more water too - use Kazz's good tip of adding a teaspoon of warm water to wet food - just makes more geravy for them to lap up.
Good luck, and I hope Rosie is back to normal soon - poor old girl

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #9

Hi welcome back here!
A few things spring into my head here having owned elderly cats. Firstly, have they had a thorough dental check?? as at their age this could be a reason why they are being picky. Have you had any bloods run for routine type things as if they have suddenly become picky there could be a medical reason why? Thirdly, I have a fussy youngster who has a sensitive tummy too and she loves the RC Sensitive 33 which is for fussy eaters and sensitive tums, give it a try. One thing my vet told me as my cats aged was that as they get older they loose their sense of smell to a degree. Since cats rely heavily on their sense of smell, it might be worth trying really strong smelling foods like sardines etc.. and the stronger smelling cat foods like Whiskers?? Good luck and do let us know how you get on x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #10

Mmmm - on the 'aroma' theme - try to give the food at room temperature, or even a little warmer (to release the appetising smells). When I was trying to tempt my old dear I used to warm her (metal) dish with really hot water, tip it out and then put the food in and let it warm slightly.