Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
05-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #1

New roses ordered

I've just ordered 4 new roses from an online firm. I was really only looking for one, something to plant in memory of the only child of friends of mine (he died in an accident 2 weeks ago). Problem when they arrive is going to be where to put them. My eyes are incurably bigger than my belly when it comes to plant-buying.

Ordered Peace, then couldn't resist Christopher Marlowe, Mamy Blue and Rosenprofessor Sieber.

http://www.estabrooksonline.com/imag...rosa_peace.jpg

http://www.galbraithsinc.com/view_rose.asp?rose_id=249

http://rosenwelten.de/rosen/rose.php?rose_nr=19950

http://www.welt-der-rosen.de/Grafik/...Sieber_hil.jpg

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #2

Re: New roses ordered

All four of them are beautiful Sandy......... you couldn't possibly have ordered just one of them, could you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #3

All really lovely, but I particularly like the 'Mamy blue'.

How incredibly sad for your friend and her family. Such a waste of a young life.

Catsey Junior

05-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #4

Kim, it took me a week to compose a letter to them that I thought fit to send. I told them I was planting a rose for their son.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #5

Love them all, you sound a bit like me, order them then have to find a space for them!!

Catsey Junior

05-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #6

Moli, I've reached the stage where I have to turf out other plants to make way for new ones.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-11-2006, 12:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
Moli, I've reached the stage where I have to turf out other plants to make way for new ones.
SNAP!!! Glad to see I am not the only one, I have just bought a tree fern! Its residing in my greenhouse at the moment! Luckily I have a big garden!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #8

Moli: you are lucky having a big garden; try squeezing "just one more" in a small City lot....Sandy: they're all gorgeous, especially Mamy Blue. I thought I had a death this year: my William Morris didn't do well during the prolonged heat wave and abnormally dry August; thought it was a goner ...just getting ready to dig up the poor dessicated thing when I saw that it was producing a shoot from the roots (own root plant, not grafted) ! It's one of my three David Austin roses, the other two are Dove (pale pink) and Louise Clements (copper). They're still in bloom. I had Peace before I moved to this house, had to leave it behind as it was way too huge to transplant...a gorgeous rose.

Catsey Junior

06-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #9

Dandysmom, the Christopher Marlowe rose is a David Austin one. I thought I'd give him another try. My gorgeous Abraham Darby climber was almost killed by frost 3 years ago. It isn't dead, but it took such a hammering that it has never recovered. All the main stems were killed by frost and the plant has not been able to replace them, just pushing out one miserable little attempt at a stem each spring.

I have the impression that Austin roses are more frost-sensitive than others. Mind you, we had temperatures of -18C that winter.

Dove and Louise Clements are stunners, it's hard to choose from his roses, they are all so beautiful. The only downside is the way the flowerheads hang down and are hard to see sometimes. They just have too much weight to carry, I suppose.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #10

What lovely roses you have chosen. So sorry for your friends loss.

I am going to David Austin Roses this week they are based up the road from me anyone like some pictures taken while I'm there? Off to have a nice look round.

I also wish I had a large garden like your's Moli I have to consider everything I buy these days - due to lack of space. Even though I keep removing slabs and planting more garden.

Karen