Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
29-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #71

Re: Book Club

Yes, would be good to get a new book underway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #72

Maybe as both of you ladies have been disappointed in both BC choices so far, we should just go with the Jodi Picoult? Never read any of his/hers? (oops!) but there seem to be plenty of copies around - sometimes a good recommendation, sometimes not.
Anyway - I for one would be happy to go with Nineteen Minutes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #73

So ...... are there any other suggestions other than the Picoult, we can have a poll if there are. It's a female, DM, BTW. Quite prolific, I see; haven't read any of her others.

Catsey Veteran

29-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #74

Read a couple of reviews - sounds fine. Happy to go with that one if everyone else ok.

Hey DM - hope we're not giong to get a reputation for being difficult or hard to please - as if

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #75

I have no trouble with "being difficult or hard to please" - after all authors do get paid to write entertaining or thought provoking literature - if they miss the spot for some people that just goes to prove that we still have minds of our own!

I have not read any Jodie Picoult either and I do love finding a new author that pleases me.

Perhaps we could decide on the book to read afterwards too? I'll get my order off then ........ any ideas for that one?

Catsey Veteran

29-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I have no trouble with "being difficult or hard to please" - after all authors do get paid to write entertaining or thought provoking literature - if they miss the spot for some people that just goes to prove that we still have minds of our own!
I have not read any Jodie Picoult either and I do love finding a new author that pleases me.

Perhaps we could decide on the book to read afterwards too? I'll get my order off then ........ any ideas for that one?
Thank goodness! Good idea about getting two books - need to think on which one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Read a couple of reviews - sounds fine. Happy to go with that one if everyone else ok.

Hey DM - hope we're not giong to get a reputation for being difficult or hard to please - as if

Me too!! My 19 Minutes came today, good long read, 503 pages. I'll have a think about the second book; willing to go along with the majority opinion.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white
29-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #78

im about a quarter of the way through the "19 mins" my mum read it before me and tells me I'll need my tissues!

It's shaping up to be a good read and i'm not going to give anything away about the story, this is my 3rd Jodi Picoult book and i have enjoyed everyone often about quite sensitive subjects and thought prevoking issues...

will happily read what the majority vote for in book two will put my thinking cap on...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #79

Just caught up with this thread now, sorry for my absence! Book sounds good, I'll buy it this weekend and try and race through it. Currently reading Wilkie's "The Woman in White" after Eileen's recomendation, and loving it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #80

I should get my Amazon delivery today, so will be able to start 19 Minutes soon.

I bought The Uncommon Reader yesterday and read it in about an hour last night. It's a beautifully spare 120 pages and Alan Bennett's writing is so good it really fits the old 'un put-downable' description. It's a fantastic book for a book club, being about the joy of reading! Highly recommend

Edit. Sorry - should have put a link. Here you are http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncommon-Rea...1408875&sr=8-1