Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #1

Cold Winter?

(aimed at UK readers but happy to have Piddler and CD3 tell us what wimps we are! )

Radio again predicting a cold winter. Something to do with water temp in the Atlantic Ah, they've just said - Negative North Atlantic Oscillation. Of course

So, do you remember previous 'interesting' weather? 1947 anyone? (NO, not even me!) 1962/3, 1981?

I was at school in 62/63. We had tough weather that winter. I think the snow started on Boxing Day and stayed on the ground till Easter! There were huge 'cliffs' of frozen snow either side of the narrow ploughed out roads and some villages took ages before they were 'relieved'.

The article seems to be saying we've had abnormally warm winters recently and this one is more likely to be back to average or just below. We'll see.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #2

Re: Cold Winter?

Well if you are going to get it bad DM, think I will have to stock pile food and hirbernate this year, we had minus 12 last year!!!!

Catsey Veteran

20-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #3

Really? Brrr
We had a cold snap pre-Christmas I think, and some frosts quite late (caught all the spring shoots) but basically it's pretty mild here.
20 October and the heating has not come on yet (i've got it switched on and the thermostat at 15C but it hasn't kicked in yet. Our house is pretty new and well insulated (and south facing) which helps.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #4

People moan about our weather now but it is nowhere near as bad as it was years ago...and I do remember those 'interesting' weather years DM....but not saying which ones ). A little dusting of snow these days and our traffic comes to a halt. Anyone remember the thick pea-soupers we used to get? Traffic came to a standstill and people would walk miles to get into work....these days they take the day off in the slightest adverse weather

Catsey Veteran

20-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #5

Ah yes - remember the saying " the older you get the further you used to have to walk to school"?!

It's true though. Those of us 'more mature' members will remember growing up in houses without CH, where there was frost on the inside of the bedroom windows, a single fire in the living room (corned beef fronts of legs, icy cold backs!) etc etc.

Global Moderator

20-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #6

....and the ice used to make pretty patterns on the windows Now you've reminded me, my mum used to have 'corned beef' legs every winter

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
20-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #7

i remember 81 just
i hate the cold, had my heating on for about 2 weeks already in the morning and last thing at night, last night i even put the fire on for a bit after the heating went off

Global Moderator

20-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Well if you are going to get it bad DM, think I will have to stock pile food and hirbernate this year, we had minus 12 last year!!!!
You could always get hubby to make you a sled, then train the girls to be huskies Moli....then you would be well away gliding over the Scottish moors in your thermals

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #9

I can remember about 10 years ago, we lived further up north, in April, I opened my back door and the snow fell in....Took us a week to find the car!!!Think extra thick thermals this year Mags!!!!

Global Moderator

20-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #10