Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
31-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #1

Does your cats coat/colour change with the seasons?

As i sit here stroking Clementine i wonder, does anyone else's cats coat type or colour change with the seasons?
Clementine does..our vet seems to think that its a lot to do with her ragdoll side, can't particually see how-but anyway...
In the spring and summer her coat is plush, it is deceivinglly thicker than it looks and she has a sepia/reddish sheen to her coat. Whereas this time of year her coat is really thick and wooly, and she has that big hefty thick wooly undercoat, and colourwise she is very dark. Its strange how her colour and coat type changes through the year..so i wonder, is it the same for yours?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #2

Re: Does your cats coat/colour change with the seasons?

All the cats I've owned have always grown a thick, plush, shiny coat in preparation for the winter. The only downside to this is the mess it causes when they shed for Spring!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #3

My cats coats get thicker in the winter, which does makes their colours change slightly...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #4

Mine have always been mainly indoor, so don't grow an appreciably heavier coat for Winter; have never noticed any color change, even in my tortie Patches,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
31-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #5

Can't say I've ever noticed Luke I'll keep an eye out now you've mentioned it though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
01-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #6

Same here Kazz, but I will keep an eye open now x

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
01-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #7

When we collect India from the rescue in January she had a very thick black coat - some of which she lost when she got acclimatised to living indoors again, but once I let her out and she was in the Spring sunshine she began to go decidedly gingery, in fact at the height of summer you could see definate stripes - now we know there must have been a ginger tom somewhere in her ancestry!!! She is going back to black now as she grows her winter coat back in. - Logoes