Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
25-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #1

I've had enough of the neigbours cat

Several months ago a cat turned up in my house, I found him eating my cats food, he had a big open sore on his neck and was very scruffy, he was very scared of me too, so we thought we had a stray cat coming in.

He came in nearly every day for a few months and was always starving (eating 3-4 pouches of food in one go some days), he sometimes came in after we had gone to bed and liked to let us know he'd been in by spraying in the conservatry (he isn't neutered)
So we printed about a hundred flyers and posted them down our street, found the owner that day and told him his cat was coming round, eating and spraying, and he laughed, I asked the man what the cats name was and after thinking about it for a good minute he eventually said his name was Dominoe, I'm thinking 'you really should know what your cats name is without thinking about it'. The man said he hadn't seen the cat in 2 weeks, a few of his neigbours phoned too and they had seen the cat around so he knows how to get home.
I remembered putting a flyer through his door because a little dog nearly bit my finger off when I posted it.... so I'm thinking the little dog is the reason the cat isn't eating at home and possibly how he got his neck injury.

Anyway we weren't sure what to do about him, we were going to call the rescue shelter before we found his owner but I don't think we could knowing he does actually have a home. Over time we have gained his trust and he will now let me stroke him, not that he likes it much.

Sorry this is getting long.........

Well we hadn't seen him for about 2 weeks and he definatly hasn't been in to eat while were asleep, he turned up again this week and he has put on quite a bit of weight since we last saw him, he is getting fat! I've been conned by a cat pretending he needs food!
The problem isn't really the stealing of food but the spraying, first it was the conservatry, then he started doing the kitchen, the hoover, the microwave and today I've found he sprayed the plates/bowls/ cutlery on the draining board, the brand new plates and bowls I brought on Sunday . I am very very annoyed to put it politely!
I know now I should have just chased him off in the first place, but he came in all bleeding and looking sorry for himself, what else could I do!

Phew, I feel better for a rant! Were going to lock the catflap at night for a few weeks so he can't spray in the house while were asleep, I'm fed up of the first job of the day being cleaning up cat wee!

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Re: I've had enough of the neigbours cat

Maybe mention to the owner that he really should consider having the cat neutered. That's probably why he's wandering off in the first place.

Catsey Junior

25-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #3

Thats exactly what I said to him the first time I spoke to him, he didn't seem to care.
He did say it was his ex girlfriends cat, she moved out a couple of years ago, I guess he doen't really care about the cat much, I have taken pity on poor Dominoe but I can't take him in myself as I have 5 cats already, I'd really like to help him but the spraying is unstoppable unless he's neutered.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #4

How about contacting the RSPCA or CPL and inform them of the situation. The RSPCA will probably give him a voucher to get the cat done.

Catsey Junior

25-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #5

Well its worth a try, I will give them a call and see what they can do, but its going to be down to the owner at the end of the day, perhaps I should give him a ring and complain about his cat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
25-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #6

I would certainly let him know how unhappy you are about him spraying, whether he likes it or not the cat is his responsibility so he should get him neutered. He probably doesn't want the cat so it may be better off in a home that does want him, so perhaps he would be prepared to give him up to the RSPCA, CP, etc?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
25-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #7

I would talk the the man about possibly getting the cat rehomed as he obviously doesn't really care for it. Poor cat - it's not his fault that he's spraying!! Sounds like Dominoe has really had rather a rotten life and needs a new owner who will take care of him and love him.

Maybe CP can have a word with the chap and persuade him to hand him over??

Catsey Junior

25-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #8

I would like to suggest to him to get the cat rehomed, its difficult to approch people about things like this, you never know how they could react, thats why I've been putting it off for a while.
I think I will approch the CPL and ask them about it, and definatly phone the owner again and tell him how annoyed I'm getting.
Thanks for the new ideas, and feel free to keep them coming, we are in a tricky situation.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #9

To be honest, I think the CPL is your best bet. Personally if hte cat isn't being looked after then I would go to them and say he has been coming in to your house for feeding an dyou thinks its a stray. Worth a try. The owner obviously couldnt care less.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #10

Agree with Alex; the so-called owner doesn't seem to care and the poor cat would be so much better off being neutered and in a good home where they'll care for him! And the spraying must be getting intolerable!!