Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
31-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #1

RIP Furry Legs and the chickies :(

RIP Furry Legs and the chickies

Don't know if any of you can remember but we recently (a few weeks ago) had four chicks hatch. Well, when they hatched all seemed fine - one had bent toes but got around fine and they were starting to go normal after a few days. At about a week old, we noticed that two of them, their legs weren't right. We think they had 'straddle legs', which is where the legs kind of point out to the side and they can't walk properly. They were getting around okay and could still walk a little so we left them to it. Then one of the others started with similar syptoms, and then the fourth chick did too. They all had to be put down on Friday night Maybe this was our fault - we don't know, but we think it was genetic. We did everything exactly the same with these chicks as we have done with the past ones. The eggs were from someone on our allotments - it was supposedly one of our cockrals (from a previous hatching) and his hens, he said there was no way they could be inbred or something. Whatever happened it wasn't fair to keep them here. We've decided we're not going to hatch anymore...dad has also decided we're not getting anymore chickens RIP chickies xx You didn't even have names because we knew something wrong. If this was our fault we're so sorry, this wasn't meant to happen. I wish we could have saved you...so sorry darlings

This morning dad found Furry Legs dead too :'( If you don't remember her, she was one of our marans - we had two maran hens - Big 'un and Furry Legs, remember? We have no idea what was wrong with her, she was fine last night!! I can remember every evening when I was giving them fresh water she would jump on my back when I bent over...she always loved to be stroked and just be around you...she was so nosy, following you everywhere and waiting at the gate for you when you left. Oh, incase anyone is wondering she was called Furry Legs because she had feathers on her legs. I know you shouldn't have favourites but I must admit she was everyones favourite...we hatched 7 chicks - 5 were cockrals, 2 were hens - she was one of the hens....she was so unique because of her feathers on her legs she stood out so much. Furry Legs - we had no idea something was wrong - was something wrong?? I don't know, you were fine last night, you seemed so happy and normal. I hope you weren't in pain when you went...I hope it was quick and you weren't suffering :'(

RIP xx Hope you're all playing together at the bridge, I know Furry Legs will try to mother you, she was always so loving. :-*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #2

Re: RIP Furry Legs and the chickies :(

Aw. Sorry for your loss Jane. Just because they're 'only chickens' doesn't mean you're not sad to lose them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
31-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

aw Jan I sorry RIP xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #4

I am so sorry to hear that! They may have been "only chickens", but I know you loved them: I certainly loved my pet chicken when I was a child....play on the Bridge, Furry Legs!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
31-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #5

Thanks guys Still can't believe we lost Furry Legs :'(

I was doubtful about posting (have posted on most forums I visit regularly) incase people said "they're only chickens, it doesn't matter" but I thought well, everyone here (or atleast I hope) are animal lovers and you would understand, and it seems you do. Thanks

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #6

So sorry you lost your chickens, Jane ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #7

Sorry to read this Jane....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
31-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #8

Sorry to read this Jane....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
31-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #9

How very sad, RIP little ones

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
31-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #10