Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #41

Re: Hmm....this was somewhat irritating...

Great informative link, DM! So you do have Lyme Disease there, how awful. It's quite hard to diagnose; lots of doctors misread the symptoms and don't use the right treatment, even here where it's been around for decades. It was named for Lyme, Connecticut where the first case was found.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #42

My BIL's mother died as a result of complications from a tick bite.
It has not been common here (maybe a few dozen (non-fatal) cases p.a) but I believe we are seeing more. Climate change?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #43

Could be climate change. A lot of it here is new housing: people are moving to new suburbs further out and much closer to the deer population, which is immense,,,there are actually more deer here now than when the country was colonized! And deer come into the gardens, etc, to forage on the shrubs...deer ticks are the vector for the disease, and there's more exposure to them now. And it's just not only the outer suburbs, the deer are common in close-by to the City. Car accidents involving deer are very common, especially in rutting season, and many many people are averse to culling the herd (think "Bambi"), so the problem just goes on...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
10-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
and here's another article on these nasty creatures and the dangers from them
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6641115.stm
Thanks for posting that link DM. Having read it I did a bit of googling and found that they can transmit Lymes Disease to cats as well as humans, , which I hadn't realised!

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that Des doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects, he is still absolutely full of himself!