Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
20-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #1

Cat safe air freshener?

both me and my fiance have noticed the cat smell downstairs in our house(they are fed downstairs and their litter tray is there too!) and we were wondering if air fresheners are safe to use around the kitties? i was thinking a plug in one may be better then an actual spray?

i will be getting the boys a hooded litter tray very soon to help with that smell, but my mom is comming to visit on Thursday and she will DEFINATELY be able to smell the boys! i dont want her going away thinking they are dirty smelly boys now do i? so, is there any sort i should avoid?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #2

Re: Cat safe air freshener?

The hooded trays are very good at minimizing odours. Get one with a charcoal filter in the lid as it's the filter that absorbs the smells. You can buy litter deodorizers an indeed fragranced litter. I have never used any of these so can't comment. I should say that a plug-in airfreshener sounds a good idea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #3

Re: Cat safe air freshener?

I use the scented oil that you drip into a ring that sits on a light bulb. It's topical (i.e. you can use it in the actual room that the smell is), and it lasts quite a while. I've never experienced any problems with it and the cats and it masks kitty-pong very effectively . Crabtree and Evelyn do some lovely-smelling oils . . .