Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

If you could change..............

.................... or improve one thing about the city, town or village where you live, what would it be?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #2

Re: If you could change..............

This will come as no surprise, I guess: improve the public transportation!!!! Manage somehow for the buses to run on time and not in packs, so you miss three at once and then wait half an hour or better for the next one!! Not gonna happen, (sigh) ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
27-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #3

I'd change the amount of jobs available for my OH in this area, he hates his current job and the pay is awful. If he could change jobs we could afford to move to a bigger house and extend the family

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #4

Hmm now let me see, I think top of the list would
be to irradicate the city of junkies and aggressive drunks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #5

I would go for some public transport - that would help a lot. I THINK there is a bus, but how often, and where it goes is a mystery! Information like that should be available to all. If you don't drive (or if your car is off the road) it is too far for me to walk to the nearest shop, although the pub is just over the road ...............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #6

I would do the same as is needed in virtually every town in Britain - quieten the through traffic and widen the pavements. It would be so nice to be able to stop and talk on meeting friends without blocking everyone; for two prams or wheelchairs to pass easily; and to hear yourself think above the traffic. It would also be soooo lovely for the cafes to have a few tables outside in the good weather.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
28-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

H you come back and I remember why I love ya! like I d all ways looking on the bright side... It would also be soooo lovely for the cafes to have a few tables outside in the good weather. You live in a happy world where I hope to be soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
28-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #8

I would change the way we turn the cities now into shoppping centres as opposed to high streets with a variety of shops...but imaine thats to late now. Bringing back, post office bakers, butchers, greengrocers etc and less supermarkets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
28-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #9

I'd get to grips with the terrible litter-louts that have made our lovely valley a tip!
The bypass road from our town via the retail park is a shocking sight, KFC wrappers and drinks cartons thrown on to the grass verges. Plastic bags and other debris, like paper bags and bottles. The wind blows them into the trees and they hang there for months.
The council sends out teams of litter pickers from time to time but it's a pointless exercise as people think it's ok to drop stuff.
There just doesn't seem to be pride in the place anymore.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #10

1. Like Karen, I'd try and reverse the trend of 'homogenisation' of the high street. Bring back smaller, independent shops that sell quality products. Not expensive deli-type places, but just ordinary food stores (not supermarkets or low-quality, high cost 'corner' shops).

2. Like Elaine, get rid of all the junkies and street drinkers. They're really trying in Reading. Have drink exclusion zones etc but it needs more careful policing.

3. And my bug-bear; bring back family housing into town/city centres. Everything - certainly in Reading and similar towns - is focused on young singles/couples who are happy to live in flats.That equals a (usually) rental and therefore transiet population.

Bring back green spaces and HOUSES with gardens so children can be brought up in towns rather than dormitory suburbs and can get a love of urban living rather than fearing town centres outside of the ubiquitous 'mall'