Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Pip sprayed in the kitchen last night

I think I mentioned before that I think Pip has been scared by something - he settled really well after Harley went to the rescue but lately he has been reluctant to go out especially at night.

Last night he spayed the window blind behind the sink in the kitchen. This is certainly the first time he has sprayed indoors. He is 20 months old and was neutered at 6 months.

Not sure what to do - don't want it to become a habit. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
15-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #2

Re: Pip sprayed in the kitchen last night

I'm not really sure what to do. Some things that do come to mind are a good enzyme cleaner that will break down the urine completely and then a pheremone diffuser to help him feel a little more at ease and prevent spraying.

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Thanks Tink! I had thought of both those things and have just ordered from petplanet.

He's been such an outgoing chap it's sad to think he's been scared by something. Kizzy seems to be fine ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
15-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #4

Really odd, poor boy. Wonder if some other animal has bullied him before while he was out?..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
15-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #5

Poor boy, I wish they could speak and tell us what's wrong. Have you thought about increasing the number of litter trays indoors Angie to reinforce where he's supposed to go? do you think it would help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #6

It does sound stress related/territorial. Poor Pip, I can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned ......

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Poor boy, I wish they could speak and tell us what's wrong. Have you thought about increasing the number of litter trays indoors Angie to reinforce where he's supposed to go? do you think it would help?
He had used the litter tray MrsH - perhaps that was part of the problem, but he's never been a particularly finicky cat - he'll go more than once in his tray, which is quite large. I've cleaned it out this morning and he has fresh litter, in case that was a contributory factor. He's not used it yet. OH said that there was quite a lot of wee sprayed, it wasn't just a little bit.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
16-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I think I mentioned before that I think Pip has been scared by something - he settled really well after Harley went to the rescue but lately he has been reluctant to go out especially at night.

Last night he spayed the window blind behind the sink in the kitchen. This is certainly the first time he has sprayed indoors. He is 20 months old and was neutered at 6 months.

Not sure what to do - don't want it to become a habit. Any suggestions gratefully received.
I think you're quite right that Pip has been scared by something, especially if he's reluctant to go out. And the spraying on the window blind is very likely a big clue that whatever scared him can be seen from the kitchen window!

Has he seen, or been in a scuffle with a neighbourhood cat? Have you seen a strange cat hanging out in your garden? Even if you haven't, if Pip has got the scent of a strange cat in his territory, then he may be provoked into spraying in an attempt to stop the other cat coming into your house.

I would also recommend a thorough cleaning with a biological washing detergent, leave to dry, wipe down with surgical spirit (if the surfaces can take it), leave to dry & wash again with the biological detergent.

You may need to do a bit of detective work to find out the cause of Pip's fear, but in the meantime, can you go outside with him, give him some quality playtime in the garden, allow him to put his own scent in the garden at times when he feels safe? This may help deter the other cat & build up Pip's confidence in the garden.

Catsey Veteran

16-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

Thanks for that wilbar - the window blind was down and I doubt if Pip could actually see anything, unless of course some creature had jumped up on the sill outside, but it's a very thin sill. Not much of a view out of that particular window, just a high hedge.

OH spent some time in the garden playing golf with both Kizzy and Pip. He has "airballs" which he hits and the cats, well Kizzy, chases them. Pip doesn't seem all that interested. I also did a wee bit of pot weeding this morning, so both cats have been in the garden with us. Neither seem to want to stay out when we came in .... not sure what that may indicate. We certainly haven't seen any "strange" cat or other animals about recently - that's not to say they are not there though.

No spraying last night though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
16-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #10

Can't add to the advice already given Angie.
Tom goes through phases of spraying i'm sorry to say, even on occasions backing up to us and doing it. It gives you quite a shock.
Before he had a problem with his legs and could get onto the work tops he would sometimes spray the pots that were draining. I can tell you that we quickly leared to wash and dry the pots straight away.