Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggy
11-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Indoor cats in summer

My biggest burning question on indoor cats in summer is not about how to keep them cool (my house is permanently chilled), it's how to keep them in!

Milo tends to dart for a door if it's opening and I've been trying to deter him from doing it and to get him to keep back from the front/back doors, but if anything it's making him want to go out more.

He's got a harness and leash so he can go outside for a little supervised 'walk' (he just sits there), I just don't want him running loose. He is only 5 m.o and is castrated (and chipped and collared, just in case!) so he isn't trying to go out to hunt down a mate, but any help on how to put him off darting outside or just some reassurance that maybe he'll grow out of it?...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #2

Re: Indoor cats in summer

I was going to suggest the harness until I got to that part of your thread. Mine were all happy to be indoor only with a nice long walk on the harness once a day, so really have no good ideas. except just keep up the harness routine and maybe he will settle for that.

11-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #3

I hope so, I really don't want him darting out of an open door or window when it's warm out! Last thing anybody needs, running around in the heat after an insane cat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
11-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Only thing I can think of is making sure he safely closed in another room before you open the door outside...

11-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #5

Well the main concern is with open windows during summer, but I know that in the summer my dad tends to leave the patio doors open whilst he's gardening/sitting in the garden. The only other thing is to pop his harness on before anyone opens the doors permenantly as he's always a bit more subdued and slower once he's in it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
11-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #6

Is there any way you can cat-proof your garden so he can go outside in the summer? Otherwise I think there are mesh covers for windows so you can have them open to let the air flow without letting Milo out.

12-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #7

R.E the garden, that's my dad's territory and I don't think he'd appreciate it. We have a number of neighbourhood cats that constantly come through our garden, not to mention the odd rabbit/fox/hedgie that appears, so it would need to be completely proofed for .. everything So I don't think it's something I could really do!
And unfortunately the same goes for the windows, I'm at my parents house at the moment and although it's something I'd do to my own place, it's not something they'd really appreciate. I'm rather stuck really aren't I.

I'm fortunate I suppose that I am off the main road so it would take a little bit of running for him to hit the motorway/main road, but if I'm out at work and one of the parents opens a door and he whips off, I can't see them spending all afternoon and night searching for him. I just wanted to see if there were any tactics to 'desensitise' him to the opening doors & the great outdoors!

Unfortunately he may take after his mother, he was from an accidental litter as his mother is an indoor cat that constantly escapes (ironically always around about the time she is booked to be spayed). She's not long been found after another break-away having been 'ragged' by a dog... which is one of the many reasons to why I'm desperate to keep him safe!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #8

Amber was a bit like that after we got her & still can be, she darts everywhere.

Am i right in thinking your boy isnt long neutered? It takes a few months for them to settle. Tim at 8 months isnt nearly so darty now. Much more laid back boy! Amber at 6 months is like a rocket you just need to be vigilant. Amber shot out past my mum last week when i was at the open front door, thankfully she went the other way into the bathroom - scary tho..., shes only couple months spayed.

Have you seen Whiskas sensation treats. They are in a tub shaped like a cats head. When i rattle a tub ours come immediately. They love them. Maybe you could train him a little by using something like that?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

This may sound a little unkind, but might be worth a try. Have a friend with a water pistol outside the door and when he dashes out, spray him, while making a loud noise ....... once or twice and he might decide "outside" is not a very nice place ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
12-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #10

i have the same concern with Harris, the ideas are good, Harris is curious when the front door is open but so far not made any attempt to get out but he sits on the window sill alot during the day, and like you milosmum, im terrified that he will get out because he does show an interest in the windows when i have them on the latch.