Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: ragdolls
06-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #1

Toilet problems

My mam has a rag doll too hers is called meeko he is nearly 2 and has serious issues about using the litter tray for a poo he won't go in he does it next to it she has tried different types of litter she even has two trays for him they are always clean she has tried the lid on and off he doesn't have a problem using them for wee,s please can does anyone have any other ideas thank you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
07-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

Re: Toilet problems

Could he be in pain (or have experienced pain) when expelling faeces, and have developed a negative association with using the litter tray for that?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #3

Re: Toilet problems

I would agree with Squirrel, has he had this issue for a while or is this a recent issue?
I had a cat who had this issue almost all her life, we too tried absolutely everything, vets kept saying she was healthy and that it was a behaviour issue, sadly she died at the young age of six, almost a year ago now.
With this in mind, and I dont want to frighten you, but please ask the vet to check his liver and kidney and also the pancreas. Many of these issues are caused by things such as IBS or pancreatitis, the cat is in pain and discomfort and associates the litter box with this. My dear Eva did suffer with bouts of the runs but not as often for vets to consider that she may have been suffering with IBS or pancreatitis.
I will try to get some more info to you as soon as I can but please have the vet check absolutely everything before assuming this is behavioural and not medical.