Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: tabby
31-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

my cat rascal

is a feral cat, he came to me as a kitten, he is very frightened of loud noises and hates the hoover, he does not like many people, he hides under the rug on the sofa and when the door bell would ring he does the same thing, I have played with him tried to reassure him, but he still is a very fearful cat, he is now 7, he will let me pet him a little and he shows affection, when he wants to, but he bites, and i have lots of scars to prove it, I love my cat dearly, just that he is very unpredicable, anyone have any other suggestions, he is a indoor cat, with loads of space and lots of toys to keep him amused.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
31-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #2

Re: my cat rascal

Do you have the Feliway plug ins there? If you do, those can help--be sure to get enough to cover the whole square footage of where he roams for it to work though.
Also reccomend Bach's Rescue Remedy, you can add this to his water or dab a bit on the back of his ears. It's a holistic remedy that is safe for humans and animals alike, the pet one contains no alcohol so make sure you get the pet type.
Possibly some scents, many animals seem to respond well to vanilla it seems.
I've found classical music to be somewhat soothing to my kitties.
You may even see if he reacts a bit to catnip?
I'd also evaluate your home environment and see what you can do to make things a little less stressful for him in the noise department.
Has he kept his feral tendencies over the years, do you think?
Do you think he is biting for fear or possibly overstimulation. There are many cats that like petting and affection and simply get overstimulated and bite. Look for his body cues to see if he's had enough (tail twitching, eyes widening, skin crawling at your touch, etc.).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

That's true love IMO - being devoted to a cat that bites you still after 7 years! My Merlin, although not feral was unpredictable and could take chucks out of people who were least expecting it. I loved him for 23 years!

I was going to suggest Feliway for your rascal - it doesn't work for all cats however. I think there is an aerosol version now too.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
31-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

My Molly was like that (she came from a farm). Hubby used to call her the psycho cat from hell! She did get a bit better, not much tho, but she was my baby and I loved her best.

Cats owned: tabby
31-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #5

Thanks friends, very good advice hopefully it will help him and me both..if he were a little calmer