Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
31-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #1

'Little' Casper - It's time to let him go....

So the time has come.......

With Murphy, Paddy, Chippy and Bramble I constructed a giant run which joined onto the cat-flap enabling them (having been house cats for two years) to gain a taste for the outdoors before setting them free.

Now it's little Caspers turn to taste freedom.

Cutting to the chase he's a little nutter and he's more scratchy than any of our previous cats. Cuddles are a big hassle and if I'm honest (I'm not stupid) I question the paperwork from the cattery as he's so ferral in his behaviour.

So here we go.......

I'm not going to 'chuck' him out but my plan is to let him find the flap in his own time without feeding him. Then I'm going to call him straight away (which he responds well to) and feed him by the flap.

After that I'll see what he does but my plan is to try and make him realise that the patio area outside of the flap is home before he wanders too far.

He's not chipped by the way and after 5 collars - I'm at a loss. My cat's don't wear collars but I'd love it if Casper could keep one on till he knows his routine.

With any luck my two remaining Cats (Paddy and Murphy) will keep him on the straight and narrow before we get him done next week

The last thing I want is to simply 'let him go' so I'll do all I can to keep him in the family but if he wants to be an 'outside' cat with no bond to us then I'm OK with that if that's what he wants.

We live in the country - so (castrated) I'd sooner see him free than pop him back to the cattery where he might end up with a towny life.

I guess I'm worried that I'll loose the wee xxxxxx but wish us luck as I feel he'll need it......

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
31-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #2

Re: 'Little' Casper - It's time to let him go....

Best of luck with Caspar ~ sounds like a bit of a handful!

What I used to do with my youngsters when letting them out for the first time was:

Start indoors getting a good recall & rewarding with tasty food bits that they don't get any other time.
When that's going well, I'd choose a time to let them out when I had plenty of time to supervise (or go looking if they vanished over the garden wall!!) & at a time BEFORE their food so they're hungry.
Then try the recall in the garden & reward heavily for coming to me.

It's not fool proof as the garden will have so many interesting smells & will invoke the hunting instinctin most cats. Perhaps choose a time other than dawn or dusk when prey are less likely to be around?

Let us know how you get on & I hope Caspar realises when he's well off & that he's got a lovely home .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
31-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #3

Could you not hold off until next week when hes neutered (get vet to microchip when under anaesthetic)? Our oiginal vet advised that. If youre getting him done next week, a few more days shouldnt matter?

Tim was fiesty too but we knew his mum was feral - rescue was upfront about it. At 7 1/2 months Tim us much more settled. At moment hes lying beside me purring - changed days !

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

With Pip, I did wait until after he was castrated before letting him loose but used to take him on trips around the garden on a lead and harness beforehand thinking that at least he would know where he lived. Some excursions were more successful than others and he always used to walk around better if Kizzy was with us. But Pip is a placid little chap, unlike your Casper, Phil.

I'm with Velvet and would certainly wait the few extra days until he's neutered, which is the ideal time to get him chipped too.

Afterwards, well it's always a bit of a risk and certainly a worry. Letting him out before he's fed is certainly the way to do it and hope his stomach will lead him homewards.

Whatever you decide though, good luck. It does sound as if you have a bit of a live wire there!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
31-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #5

Good luck, he sounds a determined liitle guy!

Hope all goes well. I would add my vote to the chip and neuter before 'letting go'.

Good luck.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
31-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #6

I can see where you're coming from with regards to getting him chipped when he gets neutered. It would certainly give us a bit more peace of mind I guess when we let him go.

I think Hannah is keen to try a collar and little lead in the garden first so that might be the approach.

What is the cost of microchipping these days ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #7

I think it depends on the vet practice Phil but mine charged £17 - it was reduced because Pip was chipped under the general for his neuter.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #8

I agree completely with waiting till after the op + microchip; also trying the lead and harness, as well as the recall training. Can't hurt to wait just a bit longer. Hopefully he'll calm down a bit after the castration; do let us know how it's going. Good luck, Phil.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
31-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #9

I had Amber chipped in November when she was spayed & it was £16.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
01-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #10

Thanks folks - spoken with Hannah and she's more happy with the 'chip and snip' approach....