Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
30-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Is This Food Good?

Here are the ingredients and analysis. Also, do cats have to have wet food added their diet if on dry food?

Ingredients: Fresh fish, Fish meal, Tapioca flour, Potato flour, Canola oil (Preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried egg product, Dried brewer yeast, Pea fiber, Ground whole flaxseed, fruits and vegetables (pumpkin, blueberries, sweet potato, apples, carrots, cranberries), inulin (preboitics), Choline chloride, Seal salt, Taurine, Glucosamine hydrochloride, Chondroitin sulfate, Catechin, Yucca shidigera extract, Methionine, Vitamins and minerals (Ferrous sulfate, Zinc oxide, Niacian, Vitamin E supplement, Folic acid, Vitamin B12 supplement, Copper sulfate, Manganous oxide, Vitamin A, Thiamine mononitrate, Calcium panthothenate, Riboflavin supplement, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin K, Calcium iodate), dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermintation product, dried lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product, natural flavour, rosemary extract. May contain trace amount of peanut and/or wheat.Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (MIN): 36%,Crude Fat (MIN): 18%,Crude Fibre (MAX): 3.5%,Moisture (MAX): 10%,Ash (MAX): 7.25%,Calcium (MIN): 1.5%,Phosphorus (MIN): 1.0%,Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (MIN): 2.75%,Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (MIN): 1%,*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
31-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #2

Re: Is This Food Good?

Looks ok to me. I feed wet and dry food to our cats, only Barnaby eats dry food only and that's by choice.

Catsey Senior

31-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

Do you mix the wet with the dry? Or give one in the am and the other in the pm?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
31-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

There's pros and cons to wet/dry food. Wet is more natural, cats would get water with their food naturally, it can be worse on their teeth depending on the ingredients. Dry can be better for teeth and i forget the other points atm.

You can mix, you can feed separate. Mine like wet food sprinkled with dry bits.

With cat food it's not just ingredients but the percentages of each as well.

Catsey Senior

01-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

I have dry food down all the time, freshened every day and feed wet food in the morning and at night. Fecto has raw beef mince at night just before I go to bed. I find that he doesn't mither me in the night for food anymore, his poo is better and he is putting weight back on. I have 2 separate dishes of dry food and feed Fecto, Big Fooze and Inky in different places. Barnes eats only dry food from one of the dishes and Swirl eats anything anywhere. Barnes and Fecto get a small amount of cat milk as a treat and they all get a few Dreamies and stick cat treats every morning. Not that they are all spoilt or anything!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
02-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
… and they all get a few Dreamies and stick cat treats every morning. Not that they are all spoilt or anything!
we can't help it can we?

Catsey Senior

02-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Not even slightly PP!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
03-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

I always say variety is good. Chesi gets salmon about once a week, raw chicken once a week, and fresh raw beef mince once a week, mostly because I don't like to rely exclusively on commercial cat food, however 'nutritionally complete' it may claim to be. Carbohydrate loaded fillers are not natural, a cat's teeth are not made for crunching or grinding but for grasping and tearing, so I like to give fresh meat as often as I can as well as good quality dry kibbles. You'll find that a cat fed a carnivore diet (no fillers) as nature intended has smaller stools (most of the food is assimilated by the body as nature intended) and is more satisfying. It also gives him something to really look forward to that is natural and 100% protein.

Interesting reading:

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

Catsey Senior

04-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #9

I will try raw with them once i'm done school and have more time for preparation and such. I feed 2 of my dogs raw too and can see quite the difference wen compared to kibble fed.

As for giving variety, how often do you switch foods and for approx. how long to you feed each one?

Over time, do you think they would become accustomed to changes regularly that doing a slow transition isn't needed anymore?

Sorry about the million questions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #10

Theyre supposed to be one of the best foods out there

http://www.acana.com/healthy-pet/

http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/