Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
15-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

New pics of Dillon

Just thought I would post some newer pics of Dillon. Unfortunately Dillon has had to be neutered and I have also retired him from showing. He has HCM and I doubt I will have him long term. It is breaking my heart but his is he most special kitten I have ever breed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Re: New pics of Dillon

Oh Kim, I'm so sorry - Dillon is such a stunner. Fingers crossed that he is with you for a while longer ... it is heartbreaking.

Catsey Veteran

15-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

Thank you Angie. I would love to think he will be here with me for a long time to come but his older brother was put to sleep with it aged 15mths. Dillon is now 11months and is already lethargic and not growing. My two new kittens are nearly as big as him and they are four months younger and girls.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #4

So sorry t hear, he is absolutely stunning xx

Catsey Veteran

15-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Thank you Helen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
15-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

sorry to hear that, he is a gorgeous boy

Catsey Veteran

15-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #7

Thank you Lynz. He is a very special boy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
16-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #8

He's stunning.
I'm sorry to hear your news, i don't know what HCM is

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

He is lovely....simply lovely.

Catsey Veteran

16-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #10

Thank you Kazz and Shelley.

Shelley HCM is short for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and is the most common heart condition in all cats. It is genetic although only 1 defective gene has been found in Maine Coons and a totally different one in Ragdolls. Considering there is over 430 known genes causing this condition in humans it is highly unlikely that they will discover all the genes that cause it in cats, at least not in our lifetimes.

It causes thickening of the heart wall which restricts the ability to pump blood through the chambers of the heart. This in turn can lead to blood clots forming and lodging in the body causing extremely painful paralysis of the back legs primarily although the blood clots have been known to affect the front legs and also the brain. It can also lead to a build up of fluid in the lungs and/or chest cavity which leads to Chronic Heart Failure. If fact some kittens have been put to sleep with suspected FIP because of the fluid when in fact it has been HCM.

Cats can live to a relative good age with HCM but the early onset cats, such as Dillon, don't have a good prognosis especially considering the family history that keeps coming to light from his maternal grandfathers side. An older brother and sister have both been put to sleep with it aged 15 months and 5 months and there have been other relations. I am no longer breeding from Dillon's mum and have had his dad screened by ultrasound and he is clear at the moment. Unfortunately the ultrasound will only show the status on that day. It has to be done every year at a cost of £277 a cat, that is with my Dillon's cardiologist the first quoted £650. The cat could prove clear for all of its breeding life and then say 2-3 years after he/she has been retired from a breeding programme. For this reason HCM will never be totally irradicated but hopefully the early onset HCM will be.

Hope this helps.