Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

what do you feed your cat?

thought i would ask the general question, and get everyone's answers, rather than ask about specific foods.

so what do you feed your cats? wet, dry or both? do you have set meal times or free feed? and what treats do your cats get?

i have no set brand for mine, because they can be fussy, so i swap and change.. they like whiskas at the minute (i dont! hate the stuff )

and their favourite treats are the whiskas temptations, they will do anything for one of them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #2

Re: what do you feed your cat?

Wet as 98% or so, with a little sprinkling of dry on top. I avoid dry because of the increased chances of cystitis, as cats tend to not drink enough water, I also add a bit of warm water to the food to increase the liquid content; Leia likes it that way.

Set feeding times: breakfast, lunch. dinner, midnight snack, mid-afternoon snack. The brands won't mean much to you as they're US brands.

Leia doesn't particularly care for commercial treats, prefers a bit of people food (which she would never eat in her earlier years, oddly enough!): ham, cheese, a bit of prawn, etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Kittens
Mix of Natures Menu & Felix kitten wet
Pro plan kitten sensitive dry

Adults
Felix Sensation range wet
Hills Sensitive dry

Ours are free fed, food always available.

We are lucky as the adults dont like the kitten food. The kittens however like the adult food

Treat wise they like the cushioned pillow type biscuits - crunchy on outside with various soft fillings on inside.

Also love cooked ham, chicken, cheese etc, they would only get the latter if we have it ourselves for our meals and then they (and the dogs) would get share.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
28-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #4

My cats have breakfast, tea and supper.

For breakfast they have a Royal Canin Sensitivity Prescription pouch. I then fill a bowl with Royal Canin Sensitivity Prescription biscuits.

At tea time they have a small bowl of biscuits each and then for supper they have a bowl of milk and a few biscuits!

They love cheese and chicken. Alfie has been known to steel my cupcakes while cooling on the side too!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
01-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

My kitten has

In the morning half a Whiskas gravy with meat pouch Or other kitten pouch( I know Whiskas isn't great but he'll be moved to a more 'scientific' diet when he's older)

Then as much dry Iams junior he'll eat (he doesn't need to watch the calories yet!)

Then the other half of the Whiskas pouch later in the evening

After this more dry food for night

Treatise

Adores Thrive shrimps and chicken ( they're 100 percent natural too)
Whiskas temptations and dreamies! cats love dreamies!

Catsey Junior

03-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

well seems my two have expensive taste!

i bought lots of different biscuits, the small sample bags, to give them a bit of variety and see what they like best.

turns out things like whiskas and go cat are no longer an option

their favourite is royal canin "beauty" i think it is, they love this and go mad for it.

their second favourite is james wellbeloved... so looks like they have expensive taste

they are having the gourmet meats at the minute by purina.. which they seem to like alot better than whiskas meat, and they wont even touch felix.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
03-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #7

I Was Told By My Vet To Make Sure It Had Mostly Meat In It And Not A Lot Of Derivitives Or Extracts. I Use " Hi Life " It Is A Little More Costly Than The Others, But It Does Have 60% Meat And My Two Kittens Love It. Because It Is A Little Expensive, I Give My Two It Once A Day And The Hard Meals ( Which I Use " More " ), Soaked In Water First, ( As My Two Don't Really Like It, But Will Eat It When Its Softer!! Fussy Beggars!! ), The Rest Of Their Feeds! That Way They Always Get Enough Water In Their Diets! I Think All Cats Develop Their Own Preferences Just As Humans Do!

Catsey Junior

03-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPARK
I Was Told By My Vet To Make Sure It Had Mostly Meat In It And Not A Lot Of Derivitives Or Extracts. I Use " Hi Life " It Is A Little More Costly Than The Others, But It Does Have 60% Meat And My Two Kittens Love It. Because It Is A Little Expensive, I Give My Two It Once A Day And The Hard Meals ( Which I Use " More " ), Soaked In Water First, ( As My Two Don't Really Like It, But Will Eat It When Its Softer!! Fussy Beggars!! ), The Rest Of Their Feeds! That Way They Always Get Enough Water In Their Diets! I Think All Cats Develop Their Own Preferences Just As Humans Do!
yes i look for actual meat content rather than derivatives. natures menu is another good one which my two like.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
03-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #9

Marmaduke Royal Canin British Shorthair dry stuff

Chloe Royal Canin indoor cat as shes old.

They also get Gourmet Pate and Almo nature tins of wet.

Marmaduke prefers the dry food given the choice but he will eat anything at any time. We have two feeding stations and there is normally food always there.

Chloe does like fresh meat, chicken, beef, pheasent, but Marmaduke isn't all that about fresh food. Chloe also loves tins of tuna

Cats owned: Domestic long haired
04-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #10

Whiskas sachets
Pet shops own dry food