Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #1

Is it better to keep a mortgage

Any opinions on if it is better to keep a mortgage all be it a small one? than pay it off?

I was planning on paying my mortgage off but have been told by a couple of people recently its better to keep a small mortgage....truth or falacy?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #2

Re: Is it better to keep a mortgage

My daughter and her husband paid off the balance of their mortgage last year with 8 years still to go.

This link may help, Kazz.....

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/help-an...&in_page_id=90

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #3

I really cant see the logic in that Kazz unless it's for the loan records. If you gofor a loan and there's no record of debt, ie mortgage then they cant score you. If you have no credit score you wont get a loan.

Catsey Veteran

22-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #4

Ta all Mags will look at the link Ta, there again the mortgage is so small I may just leave it be for a couple of years.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #5

Depends on your tax laws. Here we can deduct mortgage payments if we itemize rather than take the standard deduction. My mortgage was paid off in 1985 and I was so happy to be rid of it!!! The peace of mind knowing you own the house free and clear was worth more to me than the deduction; plus you can invest the money you were paying....just my opinion .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #6

I can't think of any reason why it would be better to keep it

If I had the money I would pay mine off in a second.

Perhaps if you don't want to pay yours off Kazz, you could pay some of mine off!!!!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
22-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #7

My mum was telling me about this the other day, she was saying if you pay it off early you get a load of extra charges because of all the profit the company will be loosing or something. That's what she told me anyway, but she is a weirdo sometimes :P

Catsey Veteran

22-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #8

Don't have the money to pay it off all at once but considering remortgaging at a fixed rate and reducing it to 5 years

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
My mum was telling me about this the other day, she was saying if you pay it off early you get a load of extra charges because of all the profit the company will be loosing or something. That's what she told me anyway, but she is a weirdo sometimes :P
That is true to an extent!! If you pay your mortgage off during any fixed term that you agreed, then you would have to pay a redemption penalty which is usually about 3% of what you borrowed. This only usually applies for the first 2-5 years of the mortgage though, whilst you are in the fixed term period.

After that the bank can only charge you an admin fee for redemption, which is about £200.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Don't have the money to pay it off all at once but considering remortgaging at a fixed rate and reducing it to 5 years
Once again, I'm not familiar with the laws there; but here you can add an additional amount (say $100.00) every month to the regular payment and mark it clearly for principal only; that can reduce the term by years!