Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
30-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #1

Saving money?

Anyone got any tips on how a freaky girl can get and save money? :P I try to save my money but then something comes along and I want it and end up spending it all on junk I try doing stuff around the house and my parents say "if you want money you might aswell not do it because we're not giving you any" or "why are you doing that? I'll do it later" silly parents!

I need tips cos I need money haha :P

(by the way, the money will be spent on my animals lol (no, not to get new animals either))

Janeeeee

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #2

Re: Saving money?

To save it you want to go to your bank and open a savings account where you have to give notice before you can take the money out, stops you from making impulse purchases. Can you not get a paper round or something like that?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #3

Excellent advice from Alex! Babysitting? Dog walking? Elderly neighbors that might appreciate someone running small errands for them? Good luck!

Catsey Senior

30-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #4

I would love to walk someones dog for them but how would I go about it??

I have already enquired about a paper round and all of the places I went to said they weren't looking.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #5

Put a notice up in your local newsagents and say you are willing to walk dogs and what times you can do it (before adn after school and weekends) also your price, perhaps £2 per dog per walk something like that! Also why not ask in the local hairdressers and see if they need a saturday girl to sweep the floors or anything like that!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
30-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Put a notice up in your local newsagents and say you are willing to walk dogs and what times you can do it (before adn after school and weekends) also your price, perhaps £2 per dog per walk something like that! Also why not ask in the local hairdressers and see if they need a saturday girl to sweep the floors or anything like that!
That was my first job, Alex!!!!

When I was about 14 I got a Saturday job at the local hairdressers sweeping the floor. After a while I got a mini-promotion and started washing hair too

I got £10 per Saturday and thought I was sooooooooo rich!!!! (that was about 15 years ago tho )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #7

Charlie, how do the Child Labor laws in the UK impact a girl of her age working? I know that's not your area of law, but figured you'd know....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
01-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #8

Eileen, legally you have to be 16 to work in the UK. However, for paper rounds you need to be 13. Both my children had paper rounds and then when they turned 16 they got a job in a restaurant. Unfortunately, we are only able to afford to give them the bare essentials, so any extras they buy themselves. Luckily, they both understand our situation and I think it has taught them the value of money.

Catsey Senior

01-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #9

Thank you everyone, have got a lot of stuff to think about now :P

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
01-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Eileen, legally you have to be 16 to work in the UK. However, for paper rounds you need to be 13. Both my children had paper rounds and then when they turned 16 they got a job in a restaurant. Unfortunately, we are only able to afford to give them the bare essentials, so any extras they buy themselves. Luckily, they both understand our situation and I think it has taught them the value of money.
There you go Eileen - exactly what I would have said.

When you turn 16 over here you get a National Insurance Number and Card from the government - you cannot have a job until you have this NI number.

I think that having a Saturday job did me the world of good as a teenager and I agree that it definitely taught me the value of money.