Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #11

Re: SAD Lights

That would be nice, CM. I've thought about one, but haven't really done any research. I think I have a mild case of SAD ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
no probs - will see him at work tomorrow.

CM
I would be interested to CM....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
12-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #13

I'll post whatever he says here then anyone who picks up on the post and is interested can see it.

Off to read no - night all

CM

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #14

Thanks.......and night CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #15

Night CM....

Catsey Veteran

12-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Night CM....
Sleep well, CM!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
13-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #17

hiya my sister has one as she said she has SAD. feels down in the darker months, better in the lighter months
she said it had made alot of difference and i think she has had it well over 18months now.

only thing is she doesnt beleive in any sort of depression she goes by Tony Robbins rule of you can get yourself out of 'any' depression and cure yourself of ANY illness by eating healthy & exercise & telling yourself you are better.....
so im not sure how she can have this if she is meant to jump up and down and be fine as she keeps telling me to do...after 13years do you really think jumping up n down works? Hmmm they goes all mediction and councilors out the window...jumpings/eating healthy the new cure...

Anyway!
i suffer with depression, have done since i was 12 (25now) & i also have Sereve PMDD, to me it doesnt matter its light or dark i Still have it, weather doesnt affect me, infact i prefer winter i really dislike being hot and try to avoid it at all costs!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
13-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #18

I've been thinking of getting a light box for a while. Not so much for SAD (I don't think I suffer from it, but living in Scotland sunshine is somewhat of a rarity so maybe I'm actually in a constant low state without realising ) but for waking up in the morning. Waking up to an alarm is supposed to jolt you awake and make you feel groggy, whereas I know when I go home to my dads, my bedroom there has really thing blinds and is east facing, so I naturally wake up to the sun rise and always feel wonderful!

So I'd be keen to invest in one if it'll mean I'm happy about waking up rather than hitting my alarm and hoping snooze wont come around as fast as it normally does...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #19

OK guys, as promised, spoke to Bill today and these are his ‘words of wisdom’

Firstly he said he would never be without it.

Things have moved on a lot since he bought his light box so he is only speaking from the view of an older technology user. The strength of the light dictates how long you have to sit in front of it. His means he has to sit for about 2 hours but there are ones on the market now that do the same in 30 – 40 mins.

Although a lot of products will say you can split it up over the day he thinks it works better to sit in one session and read a book or do some work, etc. You need to face the light but not look directly into it and sit about 3 feet away. If your work allows then that is ideal as you’re sitting at a desk anyway.

You should start when the evenings start to get longer and keep going right through to April. – he starts 1st October and you need to sit every day or you won’t get full benefit. It might take up to a month to work.

He tries to do his session around the same time each day, but after 8 at night he finds keeps him awake.

He has also replaced his kitchen, bathroom and living room bulbs with ‘daylight’ or Full Spectrum Daylight Bulbs.

He also uses a dawn light – this he sets for full intensity at around 6am, he thinks this has been a great boost as he had real problems getting up in the winter months. He has heard that some people put their SAD box by the bed and put it on a timer. He tried this and said it was too bright to waken up to.

He also takes Vitamin d supplement.

Three final suggestions – speak to GP before using to make sure you have no reason not to use (he thinks some types of migraine, epilepsy and depression)
See if you can find a manufacturer who will let you have a 30 day trial.
If you’re not sure try ebay for a cheap one and make a decision after that.

Hope that helps.

CM

Catsey Veteran

13-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #20

Thanks for posting that, CM, very helpful! A bit more complicated than I'd envisioned; didn't realize you had to sit in front of it for so long.