Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
11-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #11

Re: HPV Vaccine (Cervical Cancer)

Here is one of the more 'respectable' articles I read of adverse side effects:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2007/sep/07092004.html

I should note a distinction. This article is based on American and Canadian vaccines and reactions. They have been using Gardasil.

The one being made available here is Glaxo Smith Cline's Cervarix.

There could be a distinction between the two and the adverse reactions noted to the general 'HPV Vaccine' but I've yet to determine if the side-effects are linked to only Gardasil, or also Cervarix.

The article does highlight my own main concern:
Quote:
One of the major complaints by physicians is that the HPV vaccination program has been implemented before adequate testing has been completed. Long-term effects of the vaccine remain unknown.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
11-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #12

My daughter is 14 and I dont think I will let her have it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
11-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #13

I work in a High School and our year 8 pupils are having the vaccine next Friday. We have known about if for sometime, but parents have only recently been informed. Apparently the vaccine offers immunity for 80% of all cervical cancers; cervical cancer is one of the worst cancers, known as the silent killer. As the first-aider at school I have been involved in the organisation of the vaccine and I have never heard of the side-effects you mention, alhtough I don't disbelieve you! With regard to pregnancy, hopefullly year 8 girls won't be pregnant and I assume they would test older girls if there was a possibility of this. I am very keen for my 18 year old daughter to have the vaccine, infact she asked the doctor about it today as she had to go for a routine blood test.

I think, like any vaccine, it is up to parents and girls to make a personal, informed decision, but did you know that girls can overide their parents decision? I appreciate we don't know the long-term affects but any drug has to be rigourously tested before it can be publically used and Glaxosmithkline are about the biggest and best drug company there is. My personal view is if we have a vaccine available that can eradicate this evil killer then go for it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #14

I haven't followed this very closely here, as it doesn't affect me in any way, nor do I have children, But Gardasil is very controversial here; many questions about the effectiveness and possible side reactions. I too remember Thalidomide, which had been tested and considered safe ...
Results that don't show up in smaller human tests often appear when the drug is released into the general population and the number of people taking it are increased a hundredfold...
A difficult decision for anyone with a child .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
12-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #15

it's quite popular over here as far as i know. i contracted hpv (hence my cervical dysplasia that they are treating) and my doctor said around eighty percent of women (here) have it and have no idea because there are no symptoms in almost all cases.
on the other side it does not always prevent cancer..i suppose it would lower the chance though since such a large percentage of women have it with no idea (from what i've been told) and many live out their whole lives not knowing until they find out they are precancerous or have cancer.
i already have it so i'm not a candidate. i have no idea about the side effects. i'm guessing they are giving it to young girls before they become sexually active as it is extremely easy to be transmitted.

Almost a Veteran Member

12-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I work in a High School and our year 8 pupils are having the vaccine next Friday. We have known about if for sometime, but parents have only recently been informed. Apparently the vaccine offers immunity for 80% of all cervical cancers; cervical cancer is one of the worst cancers, known as the silent killer. As the first-aider at school I have been involved in the organisation of the vaccine and I have never heard of the side-effects you mention, alhtough I don't disbelieve you! With regard to pregnancy, hopefullly year 8 girls won't be pregnant and I assume they would test older girls if there was a possibility of this. I am very keen for my 18 year old daughter to have the vaccine, infact she asked the doctor about it today as she had to go for a routine blood test.

I think, like any vaccine, it is up to parents and girls to make a personal, informed decision, but did you know that girls can overide their parents decision? I appreciate we don't know the long-term affects but any drug has to be rigourously tested before it can be publically used and Glaxosmithkline are about the biggest and best drug company there is. My personal view is if we have a vaccine available that can eradicate this evil killer then go for it!

Kim, it's really interesting to hear a different perspective on this - thanks. I realised after posting that my original post was slightly 'scare-mongering' which I didn't intend it to be, I was more pondering the implications behind the nationwide campaign. I am a closet conspiracy theorist

I think it does come down to personal choice. I know some people who are generally against vaccinatinos unless they're necessary, and I know others who maintain vaccinations are 100% what we need. Neither is right or wrong, it is personal choice.

Tink - your first hand experience of HPV is really interesting, I didn't realise that 80% of girls in the US have contracted the virus! Or that cervical cancer was such a wide-spread killer.

The one thing that still confuses me is that they say the vaccine will mean girls don't need to get examined (the smear test) but, as the vaccine only vaccinates against 80% of strains of the virus, they will still need to get smear tests to make sure the other 20% isn't there

I do think that it is a great breakthrough if it helps erradicate the HPV and reduce the number of cases of cervical cancer, but I still have a niggling doubt at the back of my mind, for reasons DM has highlight.

Also, a petty aside: in the adverts for it, the girls pronounce it "cer-vy-ih-cal" cancer, not "cer-vi-cal". They add an extra 'iy' syllabel. Surely the way cervical is spelt it IS 'cer-vi-cal' Just me being pernickety!

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #17

meep, that information you were given is incorrrect about no longer needing a pap smear. our advertisements here stress it does not prevent all kinds of cervical cancer and you must continue being regularly checked for it. i guess thee is misinformation out there which is unfortunate. everyone still must be out of sorts since it is new. i agree it just wouldn't make sense to be checked.
after all not all cervical cancer is caused by hpv.
it is so weird they said that!

Almost a Veteran Member

12-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #18

Tink, I completely agree that this misinformation is concerning, and that's one of the things that bugs me. In one of the above BBC reports, published a week or two ago, it contains in one article that exact contradiction. A doctor is hailing the vaccine and is quoted saying it will mean girls no longer need to suffer uncomfortable examinations, but then later in the article it states that the rate of girls getting pap / smear tests is already low and experts worry that getting the vaccine will make girls think they're immune when they're not, and will therefore mean even less girls will get tested regularly

This is one of the reasons I'm quite confused and unhappy with the whole thing.

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Tink, I completely agree that this misinformation is concerning, and that's one of the things that bugs me. In one of the above BBC reports, published a week or two ago, it contains in one article that exact contradiction. A doctor is hailing the vaccine and is quoted saying it will mean girls no longer need to suffer uncomfortable examinations, but then later in the article it states that the rate of girls getting pap / smear tests is already low and experts worry that getting the vaccine will make girls think they're immune when they're not, and will therefore mean even less girls will get tested regularly

This is one of the reasons I'm quite confused and unhappy with the whole thing.
completely agree with you.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 blackX and a gingerX
14-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #20

I have some quotes from PASSION magazine on the article

'contains sodium borate,which is used in ant powder and not meant for internal use, it also contains polysorbate 80, which has been linked to miscarriage and infertility. Polysorbate 80 is a key ingredient used in contraceptive vaccine, this is also an emulsifier and stabilizer, commonly used in ice-cream, milk products and cosmetics'

Also HPV infection only occurs in sexually active women.

Hummmm could this be the governments way of tackling teen pregnancy or something more sinister?

Sorry just saw the thread and had to post some real facts