Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
08-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #1

Sleeping Problems..

Yet again i'm having trouble sleeping and this is ridiculous, i can't keep going on like this I've allways been a 'light sleeper', but never had trouble sleeping..well not really anway. The past fortnight or so its been funny..it started waking up in the night and then not being able to go back too sleep, it progressed too not being able too get too sleep until i physically clapped out, but now its gone onto not being able too sleep at all! The past three days i think ive had about 3 hours sleep if that..its ridiculous.
Admittedly there are things playing on my mind right now, and things going on but i'm not positive if this could be the cause..
I popped too see the GP Friday evening about this and the headaches, apparently the latter is down too my b.p being high..but doc didnt think the high b.p would be causing the sleep problems, he said the usual things..warm bath n that kinda jazz, understandably doesnt want too resort too sleeping pills as he doesnt seem them appropriate-nor me tbh. But all the warm baths, warm drink, trying too relax, quiet room, subtle lighting etc..not helping whatsoever.
So i really am at a wits end on what too do so i can sleep, and what the cause is..
Most curious..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #2

Re: Sleeping Problems..

Poor Luke.
There's a theory that electrical equipment in the bedroom is a huge sleep inhibitor. Is your PC in your room? And a TV and a CD player? Maybe worth considering relocating them, if only for a trial period?
A few drops of lavender oil on your pillow, or on a hanky you can hold near your face is very soothing, even if it doesn't bring sleep immediately.
There's the acupressure sleep cones Mags tried. She had mixed results with them but they might be the answer for you.
Two other theories
- concentrate on visualising a piece of dark velvet. Don't let your thoughts stray elsewhere
- make yourself keep your eyes open. Don't shut them at all.
On the very rare occasions I've been stricken with this I've found the herbal sleeping aids - nytol herbal etc - have worked, and don't leave any stupid thickness of brain next day. But I'd only use them for 2 nights, to refresh myself, take away the stress of not sleeping, and allow a natural sleep pattern to return.

It's very easy to say and very difficult to do but the standard advice is - chill, relax, your body will make you take the sleep you need, etc, etc.
Good luck & take care.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #3

DM has offered some very good advice! Sometimes I think not sleeping can become a vicious circle, the more you try to sleep the harder it becomes if that makes sense You need to try and break this circle. Perhaps when you finally manage one good night's sleep it will break this circle - I hope! Are the pets disturbing you at all Luke?

Catsey Veteran

08-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #4

I think you're right Fran - it becomes a vicious circle which you need to break.
When is gets realy established I think you need to get into the mind-training techniques. Cognative something or other? ... a three word phrase?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
08-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #5

((((((hugs Luke)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Cognative something or other? ... a three word phrase?

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
08-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #7

Thanyou for the adviced folks..tv etc is up here but everything goes off at a certain time. I'm going to have a go with some of the thingsyou suggested DM, we have some lavender oil in the medicine cabinet so shall give that a whirl tonight.
Regarding the pets..i've booted them all out at night time! With that heard of baby elephants in with me i wouldn't stand a chance...but it also makes me think could it possible this is making it worse, by not being used too sleeping without the there..maybe..
Another thing is...the bed is too small *single* and is a strange style which makes it very low and awkward too, the matress is starting too go on it also-think these are big factors. Hae gotten the new double beadstead downstairs now..just awaiting a matress.
I was lucky and got back off too sleep this morning, not ideal but at least i don't feel such a zombie at the moment!!

Catsey Veteran

08-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #8

You may just be right about the bed itself Luke. I splashed out and got a 6'9" bed for my (then) teenage son when he was about 6'1" and obviously going to be more! When you think that a standard bed is only 6'3" it's pretty obvious that some part of you is bound not to fit
It's not hugely expensive to have your bed manufactured to a non standard size - not anything like as expensive as you would think.
(As the Liverpool fans say of the very tall Peter Crouch - He's big, he's red, his feet stick out the bed )

Hope you have sweet dreams with the lavender oil

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #9

Luke, I really sympathise with you You've had very good advice from DM and Fran above, I would really think about a nice comfy bed too.....

I have a relaxing sleep CD by Glenn Harrold, he has an amazing voice One of his techniques is to visualise a clear blue sky with a small white cloud in the corner. Follow that cloud with your eyes as it moves very slowly across your vision until it has gone out of site. That is supposed to make you drift off to sleep before it reaches the other side.

I hope you soon get back into a good sleep pattern Luke.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #10

You've had some excellent advice Luke, hope something works soon! I recommed a warm, relaxing bath, and don't forget you can add some lavender oil, just a few drops. How about a mug of chocolate or horlicks before you go to bed? I find if I read in bed I soon fall asleep!