Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby
06-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Playtime

Has anyone got any tips on good things to get my cat a bit more playful with us?
She's very playful at night and she's slowly getting there it's just a matter of finding things for us to do together

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Re: Playtime

have you tried cat nip, you can get it in toys and also dried catnip to just sprinkle on the floor. Most cats react to it and it can make them very playful.
I have some in the garden which has spread to the top of the drive. There is a fluffy patch on the drive where the local cats come to get their fix,lol.
I think some cats can be very active at night, our two boys used to sleep a lot during the day and then come awake at night.
Maybe she's still feels more confident playing when no one else is around

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
06-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

All my cats play when they want to. They are mostly indoor cats with access to an enclosed yard with planks for climbing and trays of grass and cat friendly plants including catnip. They usually play with each other. A good toy for playing with cats is a feathery thing on a long string but I always supervise my cats with this in case they get it wrapped round them. Also cats love ping pong balls.

Catsey Junior

06-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

Yeah we have catnip she's not too bothered by it ATM. She's reacting to it more than when we first got her and some of her toys have catnip in. Hopefully she will play soon I'll just enjoy my evening cuddles for now x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
07-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Not all cats react to catnip, estimates vary from 50-75%, which still leaves quite a few who don't. My 2 aren't fussed by it.
The feather thing on string is definitely a winner for play! Leaps from both all over the place. Also can't leave it out otherwise it gets destroyed. Metallic pipe cleaners and small fake mice are winners also. Toilet rolls with treats hidden inside. Cardboard boxes. Wiggling things under paper or rug.
I try to tire my 2 house cats out during the day, so I get left alone during the night mostly

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Feliss above gives some great ideas .... I'd add a plastic bottle top, make a hole in the top and thread a piece of string through, make a knot, leaving a bit to fray at the end. Just walk around the house trailing the string and bottle top. I used to do that with two cats following me around house and garden. Hours of fun and pouncing!

Catsey Junior

07-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #7

Ah you guys have got loads of great ideas!! She's just a lazy mare she won't go for anything unless she can reach it with minimal movement lol!! I'm trying to get her out of the habit of running the house ragged at night. We think she's been sliding around on the rug �� while we are asleep

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #8

If shes been st the rescue from a young kitten
It will have been very busy all day long & probably very limited movement esp if sharing with older cats. At night it is quiet, no one around - so you come out & explore

It will just take time

Have you got a laser pen/toy? Pet shops ebay etc. When you point it at the floor & press the switch a red light / dot displays & they absolutely adore chasing that light. A few minutes play 2/3 times a day. Just do it slowly at first & let her think she has "caught" it. Great fun for cat & owner. (Never point it at her face /eyes).