Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggy
16-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Aggression towards sibling

Hello,

I have two black moggy sisters that I've had for almost 3 years now, they have always been close to eachother, grooming and sleeping together with only play fights occurring once in a while! Yet this morning they have suddenly become very aggressive toward eachother, fighting and biting and now they can't be within a metre of eachother without hissing! Nothing has changed and this has come out of the blue so I don't know what to do, if anyone could give any tips I would be incredibly grateful!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #2

Re: Aggression towards sibling

Something has upset them .... and without knowing what that is it could be hard to try to settle them again. If you haven't had any household additions then I would suspect that there is a new cat in the neighbourhood, possibly a male? You don't say whether your girls have been spayed but even if they have been done it could cause jealousy between the sisters. I would try something like Feliway to reassure and restore the balance.

Cats owned: Moggy
16-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

We did spot a cat in our back garden that we haven't seen before but we don't know which gender it is, they like to sit on the windowsill and look out aswell with the windows slightly ajar, so they could have possibly seen and smelt the new cat, both cats have been spayed but I have noticed them sniffing around he windows today so this would be the possibility! I have just ordered some feliway, thanks for the help!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

Good luck, I hope it works.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
26-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #5

Try building in some positive interactions with them both at same time. Distraction is great -food, playtime.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

I suspect its a bit of redirected aggression. Separate them as best you can until you can possibly try to stop strange intruders into your garden, then you may need to re-introduce them to one another.
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ssion-in-cats/
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/healt...aggression.cfm
http://www.mypetspages.com/petinfo/f...aggression.php

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
27-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

Hi Beckytezza. They are both in good health I'm assuming. One is not feeling a bit poorly and under-confident with the other taking advantage of this?, no two cats are ever always equal in rank, just a thought.